Was just realizing that I joined this team, but other than a post in the sticky answering the 10 or so questions, joining a couple of team challenges, and comments in the huddle, I haven't really said much.
I'm a single mother of three adult children (youngest will be 20 next month). I forcibly got myself an empty nest back in August 2011 - which included moving from a 2-bedroom apartment I was paying for and shared with the two younger children into a single room with shared bathroom and some kitchen privileges.
I shop for me and cook for me. My biggest challenges right now:
1) Microwave cooking. I only have a microwave to prepare food in, both at home and at work. While I knew about heating up meals - and do that at work for now - I'm in the early beginner stages of learning to cook with the microwave.
2) Limited space and storage. I have one shelf in the fridge, half a shelf in the freezer, and a shelf in the cupboards. I have very few containers to store leftovers or space to maintain them.
3) Past resistance to cooking in general that I'm working at. I've spent some 20 years deliberately not cooking much because it was "just a chore". I took a cooking class in school and enjoyed that, I've baked treats here and there, and even made meals. But to do it daily or with any regularity brings out the "it's work, not fun" daemon in my mind.
4) Picky-ish eater. I don't do fish. Tuna/albacore, yes. Anything else, pass. I've tried. Multiple times even. It's a no-go. So any cookbook full of fish soups and fish appetizers and a fish section ... just bleh. So finding recipes that don't lean on ingredients I'd pass on takes time and work.
5) I have my own set of rules on foods. I don't do diet substitutes. I want an omelet, I crack a couple eggs. I make something that needs sweetening, and it will be sugar or honey I use. I want beef, I'll eat beef. I don't do "organic" or "gluten-free" or any other special diet-y foods or recipes. I eat normal, but balanced and in proper portions.
So that brings me here. As I get more time, I'll be checking out recipes and suggestions and seeing what I can learn. Right now I have three microwave staples I use. One is how to cook eggs - scrambled or omelet - to which I can add grated cheese or chopped green pepper or more. The next is baked potatoes. I don't do that as often, but is good eaten with the last. The last is how to cook ground beef (I use 93/7 or 96/4 lean) to which I add tomato sauce or paste, chopped peppers, sometimes a sloppy joes or other spice mix (trying to avoid heavily salted or sweetened ones) and may eat with or without a potato.
I'm looking forward to learning more staples to build from.
Edited by: BLUE42DOWN at: 2/20/2012 (15:03)
| current weight: 185.0