SparkPeople advertisers help keep the site free! Learn more
Posts: 13 6/6/09 5:22 P
Hokay. 1. I am not and never have been an athlete. But I want to be a runner. 2. I am a pianist, and I also sing. 3. I love to read. 4. I have 8 kids. Yes, they all squeezed out of my own body, and they all have the same dad. Weird huh? 5. I am overweight because I never lost any of the weight I gained while I was pregnant. Ever. 6. I love to write. 7. I have not held a job in 25 years--just stayed home with the kiddos, even homeschooled for 10 years. 8. I gave birth to 5 of my children at home with a midwife. 9. I am currently walking 2 miles a day with my BFF who lives 3 doors down from me. 10. I'm really reaching here. I love cats and do not like dogs even tho we have 2 of them. They just smell you know? I am on Day 19 of my journey to lost weight. I currently eat 1500 calories and walk every day. Tonight I am going to alternate walking with fast walking. Ooooh, Zaaaaaa, you devil you!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4.13
Never give up, never surrender. --Commander Peter Quincy Taggart
current weight: 315.0
Posts: 151 6/4/09 10:27 A
1. I grew up in a very active family (I've been running road races since I was 4 or 5) but always hated running until 2009.
2. I joined 10k training program through Fleet Feet and absolutely love it. I really didn't think I would, but so far it has been great.
3. I've struggled with my weight since I was 17 (now 25). I gained 40 pounds in law school and am slowly but surely trying to take them off and then some.
4. I have run five 5ks so far this year and feel like I have gotten slower every race.
5. I will run my second half-marathon in November 2009.
6. I am a terrible swimmer, but would love to do a tri someday. Definitely need a swimming coach though!
7. I absolutely love to read.
8. When I grow up, I want to be a writer.
9. Every few months, I get an insane itch to plan my wedding - even though I'm very single and have been for a long time. I think when the time finally comes, I will have the entire ordeal completely planned out. Sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in all the wedding hoopla when you've been a bridesmaid five times...
10. I'm an attorney and I don't love it but I think that eventually I will find the right job for me.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."
- Route 66 Quarter Marathon 8.7.10 - MS 150 Bike Ride 9.25-26.10 - Tulsa Run 15k 10.30.10 - Route 66 Half-Marathon 11.21.10
current weight: 242.1
Fitness Minutes: (359) Posts: 179 6/2/09 9:13 P
Yeah, the people I know who got hooked on them often read those terribly long books in only a day or two! Kudos to you for not losing sleep over them! I rarely find a book that good, but then again, I don't read fiction often. Heck, these days, as much as I like to read, I rarely get through a book! Blessings!
Edited by: 1ACTIVEME at: 6/2/2009 (21:14)
I can and I will! You can too... will you?!
Blessings from Cathy in Wisconsin
current weight: 199.2
Posts: 5,500 6/2/09 8:53 P
I never read the Harry Potter books, but my hubby did. I have talked to other ppl who read them and were also hooked on the Twilight series. For me, it was the story line and the writing style. I often stayed up well past the time I should to keep reading. I am halfway through "My Sister's Keeper" right now and I love it...but have been tired at night and haven't picked it back up b/c I will stay up late to read it too.
"There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open." - Nike
current weight: 162.6
Fitness Minutes: (359) Posts: 179 6/2/09 6:19 P
Good for you! What is it about those Twilight books?! I have heard that from so many non-readers... they couldn't put them down! Well, you'll make goal! Blessings!
I can and I will! You can too... will you?!
Blessings from Cathy in Wisconsin
current weight: 199.2
Posts: 5,500 6/2/09 8:18 A
1. I ran my first 5k in March 2009 and finished just over 40 minutes time. I had been running less than a month before attempting this and built up endurance on the elliptical trainer. 2. I'm 34 (soon to be 35). 3. I'm a mother of 4 kids and a birthmother. 4. I'm not a big reader, but really loved the Twilight series. 5. I only prefer to run now. When I look at machines to exercise on I frown at the thought of having to use them. 6. I have a degree in English. 7. I have been in Technical Writing for over 12 yrs now. 8. I have lost 30 lbs this year and I am curious to see if I meet SP's goal. 9. I am running my first half marathon in July 2009. 10. I am running my first marathon in October 2009.
"There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open." - Nike
current weight: 162.6
Posts: 4 6/1/09 12:31 P
1. Just started jogging in January (jogging/walking). 2. February was able to do 1 mile in 11 min. and was so excited. 3. March/April did 2.5 miles without stopping at about a 12 min/mile pace 4. May-doing 3 miles once per week at about 11 min./mile pace. 5. Want to do a 5k or two before my birthday in August-turning 30 and that's my gift to myself. 6. Love life! Love my friends and family! 7. Love the outdoors from gardening to yard work, to camping and hiking, to playing tennis. 8. Want to lose 50 lbs. by Christmas. 9. Sometimes let self-image hold me back-want to conquer that! 10. Want to do a half-marathon at some point in my life.
Posts: 2 5/31/09 10:31 A
Hey all! Here are my 10 things:
1. I've been an athlete my entire life but became a runner in middle school because I wanted to be like my dad, who runs marathons (just ran boston this year!)
2. I ran my first 5k when I was 14 as a time trial for my high school's cross country team. Promptly after crossing the finish line I walked up to my coach and told him I would never run another 5k which turned out to be a false assertion.
3. Throughout my running career I've been plagued with a lot of injuries so joining Spark People is less about losing weight as about keeping myself on a healthy diet so that I can stay injury free!
4. I'm currently a collegiate runner, running for one of the countries best division 3 programs. This past semester I suffered from mono and realized the lovely "freshman 15" after a lot of comfort food and no exercise. Now I'm trying to get back on track for my summer training program!
5. My entire family (mom, dad, sister) runs which is great motivation to keep up the training and healthy diet.
6. My best 5k time is 18:27 and 6k is 22:16 (both run last year).
7. My goal for the summer is to run a 5k on August 9th. I'd be happy with something around 20 minutes.
8. I live in upstate NY, which is absolutely gorgeous in the summer, so I want to try and be outdoors as much as I can this summer, not just when I go out for runs.
9. My long term running goal is to complete the Boston Marathon in the next 10 years.
10. I absolutely love being in college! I am a joint Economics-Psychology major and can't wait to go back to school in the fall.
Edited by: CMCILVEN at: 5/31/2009 (10:43)
Pounds lost: 0.5
Posts: 2 5/30/09 10:16 A
1. I just graduated from nursing school, and am looking for a job.
2. Before going to college, I had worked hard over five years to reach a reasonable weight--the lowest weight that I had ever been since puberty.
3. During the four years of college, I gained all the weight back, plus some.
4. I have two children, ages 9 and 8, a wonderful hubby, and many pets.
5. I love to workout, but it is hard for me to get motivated to start.
6. It is very hard to eat healthy with a tiny grocery budget.
7. Before college, I had completely weaned myself off of all "white" carbohydrates. During the last two years, we have eaten pasta about five nights a week due to grocery budget constraints.
8. Before college, I ran several small road races, and absolutely loved them.
9. I am planning on running at least one short race this summer.
10. I used to say that I was going to run a marathon the year that I turned 30, and I turn 30 in the fall. *gulp* Not impossible, but lots of work is needed to be in marathon shape in a year.
current weight: 230.0
Fitness Minutes: (359) Posts: 179 5/29/09 6:36 P
I'm having fun reading all of these! Keep 'em coming!
I can and I will! You can too... will you?!
Blessings from Cathy in Wisconsin
current weight: 199.2
Posts: 1,599 5/29/09 4:18 P
NICAZZ - Skinny Legs and All is also one of my favorite books!!!
Here are my 10 things: 1. Sometimes I live too much in my head (which isn't always good). My friend has told me I have the strongest mind/body connection of anyone she's ever met. 2. I started running about 2.5 years ago, but didn't get REALLY serious about it until last February. 3. I've run 4 5K's and have only felt happy after 1 of them (my next one is this Sunday!). 4. I'm training for my first 10K on June 20th, and trying not to freak out about it. 5. I've been married for 4 years and currently trying to conceive, which is not going quite as I had planned (which is hard for two type-A personalities). 6. I am an Assistant Director of Admissions at a small liberal arts college and I LOVE it!! 7. I like to create things (and I'm a shameless self promoter). Visit my website http://leapingfish.etsy.com 8. I was born on Leap day (February 29). 9. My husband always jokes that one of the reasons he married me is because I was beer drinker even before we met (HOLLEMS - I also enjoy a good IPA. Bell's Brewery in MI makes a fantastic double IPA called Hopslam). 10. I love to sing really loudly in the car.
current weight: 123.0
Posts: 5 5/29/09 8:33 A
1 - I started running in March 2006 and I have been relatively consistent (at least for me!) since that time. 2 - Since I have started running, I have lost between 70 and 80 pounds. I am a much healthier and happier person because of it. 3 - I am currently training for a marathon -- week 2 in the Marathoning for Mortals book. 4 - I am 44 years old and have struggled with my weight and body image for most of my life (suprise, shock, gasp!) 5 - I have two wonderful (most of the time) children, ages 6 and almost 3. 6 - Growing up I was always active, but overweight. I played day-long baseball and football games with neighborhood gang during the entire summer. Pretty idyllic childhood, to be perfectly frank. 7 - I was always active in organized sports as well -- baseball, football, wrestling. The common thread is that they all used running as punishment. Consequently, it was only after I got in my 40s that I found out that running can be fun. 8 - I absolutely love to cook (and to eat). My most recent obsession is bread baking. 9 - I absolutely love a good India Pale Ale. 10 - After living in D.C., Wisconsin, Michigan, and Chicago, I currently live and raise my family in Indiana. Both my wife and I are from the Hoosier State. And though neither one of us thought we would end up back here, the draw of grandparents is pretty darn strong.
Edited by: HOLLEMS at: 5/29/2009 (08:34)
Posts: 5 5/28/09 5:11 P
1. I'm 41, mother of four sons (21,20,17,16) married for 22 years. (not always easy)
2. I was thin most of my life went from 125 to 165 in the last three years!
3. I have college degrees in English, Education and American Literature but I am a small business owner. I own a CANDY STORE!
4. I am a veteran of the US Army, I joined after high school, that is the last time I ran! I hate to run.
5. My 16 year old, very athletic son, is presently my trainer. He insists I run, he says it's the only way I can lose weight quickly to see immediate progress. I ran today, it made me vomit.
6. I love movies, reading, warm nights.
7. I love to cook and entertain.
8. I hope I can do this. I want my old body back. I want energy. I want to feel/look sexy for my husband. I want to shop for fashions without elastic!
9. I make lists everyday that are too long and impossible to complete. I plan and organize parts of my life but other parts (like my bedroom) are total chaos.
10. I live in NY but have lived in Fl, NV, MS. And I have visited every state except HI. I want to retire to Texas. I have a sense of adventure which I don't seem to be growing out of. I am not sentimental about places, love to meet people and try new things. Like this. I have tried dieting but haven't seemed committed enough to succeed. Now with my son as my personal trainer I don't want to let him down. This may be exactly what I need. I am glad he found this site for me!
Posts: 6,690 5/26/09 6:51 P
Great lists everyone!
Z from Beaverton, OR (PST)
BLC21 CAMO Crew
current weight: 132.8
Fitness Minutes: (359) Posts: 179 5/25/09 12:07 A
I had fun reading all your responses! Here is my list:
1- I live in Wisconsin but absolutely HATE the cold! Someday I'll find the perfect place to live... Hawaii?! Israel?! The change of seasons really is beautiful, though. Too bad winter's the longest one of the year!
2- Was super thin growing up, though my eating habits were out of control... looking back, exercise was the key, I'm sure... I had to walk, bike, or run wherever I wanted to go!
3- I am an artist/writer at heart, but currently make my living working full time in retail.
4- Been married for almost 19 years... have 20 & 16 year old kids with DH... and an adorable cat...
5- homeschooled our kids for most of their years. DS will be doing college in the fall after a year off school (he's working full time and paying for it himself) and DD is on high honor roll. I guess I didn't have to worry... we stress out too often about our kids' achievements when it really all works out in the end...
6- I'm a Barry Manilow fan... just hearing his voice brings an instant smile to my face, just like the smell of Hawaiian Ginger Calgon.
7- Getting desperate for things to share here... Christmas is my least favorite holiday of the year...
8- I'm a list maker and planner, even though my plans NEVER turn out...
9- I'm impulsive and in debt to my eyeballs, but determined to dig my way out of that too, and determined to learn to discipline myself. 38 years old and still trying to find the proper balance for my life...
10- glad to be done typing up this list... it was harder than I'd imagined it to be... looking forward to my new life as a fit and healthy runner!
I can and I will! You can too... will you?!
Blessings from Cathy in Wisconsin
current weight: 199.2
Posts: 6 5/24/09 8:42 P
1. I have always admired runners, but until the last couple of months never ran a day in my life. 2. I've been married for 20 yrs and have two nearly grown children. (turning 21 & 18 this year) 3. I've been overweight/obese most of my adult life.....watching the scale go up and down, but mostly up. 4. I've been on a slow quest to lose weight/get healthy for the last 8 months, but have plateaued and thought that running might help me shed more weight.......I'm still waiting. 5. I joined this site hoping to learn more about running properly, nutrition and for support and inspiration. 6. I want to move to Florida when I grow up. 7. I'm a huge tomboy. 8. Some days I think I'll be able to run a 5k by the end of summer and some days I think I'll never get there. 9. Part of me thinks stress is what's keeping me fat. 10. I lost 35 lbs. 4 months ago, but can't manage to lose anymore.....and I've got at least another 40lbs to lose to have a decent BMI.
current weight: 160.0
Posts: 636 5/24/09 6:55 A
1. I have four beautiful daughters, ages 10, 12, 15, and 17. 2. I always liked to exercise while I was growing up, but was not an "real athlete". 3. I gained a little extra weight with each baby, and found myself up 20 pounds and way out of shape. 4. I lost 30 pounds nine years ago and have kept most of it off. 5. I started going to college in Spring of 06 and will graduate with a degree in exercise science in August. (Health/fitness has become my passion.) 6. I started running five years ago at 30 years old. 7. Like many others, I followed the Couch to 5k program, and it changed my life. I could not run a mile without stopping before I started. 8. Since then, I have run many 5Ks, 10Ks, a few half marathons, and three marathons. I plan to continue running forever. 9. I love spending time with my husband and children and it is my life's mission to maintain balance between taking care of myself and being there for them. 10. I am pretty boring--my idea of a good time is to curl up with a good book or get lost in a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.
Edited by: JAJEKK at: 5/25/2009 (09:02)
Life is short...running makes it seem longer :)
current weight: 135.5
Fitness Minutes: (1,363) Posts: 68 5/24/09 1:07 A
Very cool idea!
1. I'm new to SP and am loving it so much so far. 2. I started running in high school and did my first 5K race around age 18. 3. I didn't do another one until I was in my mid-30's, soon after my family moved to Guam. 4. I am a military spouse who has lived in Florida, Virginia, California, Japan, Guam, and Paris, France and have travelled a lot of the world over the past 17 years (that's how long I've been married to my wonderful hubby...and the military life). 5. My husband retires from the military after 27 years on June 1 and we move back home to Florida soon after. 6. We have 3 beautiful children (2 boys aged 16 and 12 and a daughter aged 14). 7. While in Guam, I ran in many 5k races, 10k's, sprint triathlons, and bike races. About a month before we moved, I broke my collar bone training for a race (that was a huge bummer!). 8. I've run one race since then - an 8K in Paris. I had gained almost 20 pounds after leaving Guam and was a bit disappointed in my time. 9. I have since lost almost 15 pounds and am trying to get back in race shape - my right IT band is giving me a really hard time. 10. Once I get back on track, my next goal is to run a 1/2 marathon.
current weight: 155.0
Posts: 690 5/23/09 1:48 P
oooh! I want to do this...
1. I am an elementary PE teacher who sees all 500 students for PE everyday. My job is sooo much fun!
2. I started an after school running club for my 2nd-5th grade students eventhough I wasn't much of a runner myself. It has totally TAKEN OFF! I have kids who will put in 3-4 miles every Thursday when we meet. This year the kids ran a total of 2,500 miles which is 600 miles more than what we did last year.
3. I started the Couch to 5K in May 2008 after running a 1 mile leg in a relay and I couldn't get through it without walking. I was really upset and realized that just playing volleyball wasn't going to get my fitness where it should me.
4. I ran my first race on the 4th of July. It was a 3 mile race and I was sooo nervous about it I probably got 3 hours of sleep.
5. My school has overwhelmingly won evey race where there was a contest for the school with the most participation.
6. I have a terrible sweet tooth. I love chocolate, cookies, cake, sodeas, and coca cola slurpees. I don't keep those things in my house b/c I know I will devour everything!
7. I am currently training for my first sprint triathlon on June 28th. I am confident on my swim and run skills but the bike scares the crap out of me. There are some big hills that I will have to conquer.
8. I have been married 4 1/2 years to a police officer. He is such a wonderful person and having him and our 2 dogs completes my life.
9. I am a giant at 6'1" and I just love being tall b/c it's part of who I am.
10. I have considered training for a half marathon, but I don't know yet. It's really hard to train that hard during the school year when I am literally on my feet all day long.
Amy "Aims "
February 2010-Cowtown Half Marathon (13.18 Miles): 2:33:38
December 2010- Dallas White Rock Marathon- (26.43 miles) 5:53:48
March 2011- Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon (13.25 miles) : 2:28:37
January 2012- Houston Marathon (26.44 miles) : 4:48:46
March 2012- Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon (13.18 miles) : 2:14:45
current weight: 170.2
Fitness Minutes: (47,824) Posts: 2,964 5/23/09 12:24 A
Cool idea. I don't care if you DID steal it!
1. I ran my first 5K at the age of 8 (1979) with my dad (the one who made me a runner) 2. I ran the Air Force Marathon in 1999 to celebrate my 28th birthday since the AF and I share a birthday (Sept 18th) 3. I've battled a lot of injuries over the last 8 years, so I no longer take the ability to run for granted 4. I'm really looking forward to my kids getting older so I can turn them into bonafied running partners 5. My personal goal is to run a sub-12:00 1.5 mile again 6. I am incredibly organized, and yet am still very messy 7. I point out runners as I'm driving with my kids so that they'll see running as totally normal and cool 8. I wish I knew then what I know now... ;-) 9. I am a shy person with people I don't know, but the people who already know me find that hard to believe 10. I am going to my 20th HS reunion in a month and can't wait to walk in there weighing what I did in high school!!!
08/26-27/11 - Hood to Coast Relay
10K Times leading up to the relay: 2/5 - 61:09
current weight: 178.0
Posts: 6,690 5/19/09 11:43 A
Hi everyone. Thanks for sharing your lists. Here's mine:
1. I'm a Turbo Kick addict. I can't get enough. 2. My first half will be on October 25th. 3. I did last year's Hood to Coast & loved it. I'm in it for life as long as my team gets a lottery spot. 4. My international travel list includes France, Switzerland, Greece, S. Korea, Japan, the Philippines, and British Columbia. 5. I'm a Star Trek & Stargate fan. 6. Since I'm not ready to own a pet yet, I sponsor at least one cat & dog from the humane society each year. 7. I'm an aspiring vegan. 8. Lifting heavy weights is one way I stay sane. 9. I used to have a labret piercing but had to take it out once I got a corporate job. I miss it dearly. 10. My next 5K will be on the beach in Lincoln City, OR.
Z from Beaverton, OR (PST)
BLC21 CAMO Crew
current weight: 132.8
Posts: 32 5/19/09 12:06 A
Hey, neat idea - I'm new, so hello everyone, it's good to get to know you. Here's a little about me:
1. I'm impatient - I can run a 5k, but I want to run an ultramarathon. 2. I love living in a rural area, but sometimes I miss the things a city has to offer. 3. My wife is my best friend. 4. I love black licorice and ice cream (not necessarily in that order). 5. I speak French, but I want to learn Spanish and Chinese. 6. I have a boy (age 2) and a girl (age 3 1/2) and they are real joys in my life. 7. My dream car is a 1977 honda civic wagon (of course, converted to AWD and tricked out some). 8. I love to hike in both mountains and desert (oops, Freudian slip - I almost said dessert). 9. I love classical music and 80s alternative (what a combination!) 10. I have a yellow personality. I'm a procrastinator, but I'm always having fun. 5.
current weight: 193.0
Posts: 25 5/17/09 8:47 A
1 - I'm the laziest runner I know. I run faster to finish a workout to get back home to the couch. 2 - I'm a med tech and I absolutely love my job, every minute of the stress-packed, bodily fluid-filled day. 3 - I loved training jiu-jitsu. Next week I'm starting a cardiofight class at the same gym. I can't wait! (total adrenaline junkie) 4 - My dog Sugar (yellow lab pup) is the love of my life. 5 - I'm almost 30 and one of my favorite shows is Spongebob. I don't even have kids I can blame that on. 6 - Speaking of 30, I turn in September and am TERRIFIED! 7 - I walked in to my 10 year high school reunion, barely recognized anyone, and left before they noticed me. 8 - My running partner is my dog. I still can't keep up with her. I wish I could take her with me in a race to make me chase her. My time would be so much better! 9 - I loved surfing in Hawaii and want to go back. 10 - I used to play paintball but sold my gear this past December to find a new hobby. Any suggestions?!
"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places." -Unknown
current weight: 147.8
Posts: 128 5/15/09 4:58 P
1. I have a very spoiled cat whom I love. She had severe kidney failure last year and it takes a lot of upkeep to have her around but way worth it. 2. I am running my first race tomorrow 3. I was in a sorority in college and loved it very much 4. I am a new Christian and believe in the power of prayer. 5. I have lived in 4 different states (3 of which in the last 4 years!) 6. I moved south for my boyfriend and we do not live together. 7. I teach 2 year old's and some days I don't love it 8. I want a lot of children someday. 9. I started bird watching a year ago 10. I am kind of an old lady at heart with my hobbies (Knitting, baking, bird watching and reading) and I'm only 27.
May 16th, 2009~ National Police Week 5K 38:01
November 4th, 2009- Great Bonac Footrace 5K 36:34
October 25th, 2009- Goblin Gallop 5K 37:15
current weight: 151.8
Posts: 1,099 5/14/09 5:01 P
1. I'm a graduate student, getting my Masters of Divinity. 2. My DH and I have two precious kittens who we adore. 3. I grew up in a running family (mom and dad were triathletes, ultramarathoners, the works!) but never really got into it until now. 4. DH and I met on a cruise. 5. I'm a trained classical singer. 6. I really like running to country music. 7. I have lived in Texas, Michigan, and now Tennessee. 8. I love to cook, particularly healthy flavorful meals. 9. My favorite type of food is Indian food. 10. My favorite dessert is a cookie!
1. I ran cross country in high school, but I didn't really become a runner until 4 years ago when I decided to lose weight by training for a half marathon. 2. I love the fact that my husband is a runner too. It is so great to share this love together! 3. I am an adventure-seeker. I like to do things that challenge my physical and mental limits. It hurts, but it makes me stronger and makes for a more fulfilling life :) 4. I have been happily married for over 3 years. 5. My favorite treat after a race is a deep tissue massage. I get one about every other month. 6. I am a grad student studying to be a therapist. 7. I am a geek in school and I absolutely love reading, researching, and writing papers! 8. I love hosting dinner parties for my friends and as busy as I am, I try to do them as much as I can. 9. I love to travel! 10. I love volunteering and do so as much as I can with my schedule. I am a social worker, what can I say!! :)
Tough Mudder 1 hr 45 mins Kelly's Logan House 5K 22:18 Run for MS 5K 22:23 Rehoboth Half Marathon 1:44:50 Aetna 5K - 21:52 Old New Castle 5 Miler- 38:03 Brandywine River Run 15K - 1:26:18 Christiana Care Marathon Relay- my leg- 10 miles - 1:18:13 Lewes Beach Half Marathon- 1:45:51 Snowball 5 Miler - 36:25 Turkey trot 10K - 49.59 Blood Bank 5K- 24:17 Fox Run Duathlon - 2:07:02 Smith McMillian5K-23:50
"True enjoyment comes from activity
current weight: 118.0
Posts: 71 5/11/09 9:14 A
Here we go: 1. I have 3 kids, 2 girls & 1 boy. 2. I have 6 tattoos and most people don't know I have them. 3. I am the Recreation Director for a small town in Maine. 4. I hate basketball. 5. I have lost 12 pounds on Spark People since February 2009. 6. I love KFC's mashed potato and coleslaw mixed together. YUM. 7. My 5th wedding anniversary is October 2. 8. My husband is 8.5 years older than me. 9. I had my gallbladder out when I was 4 months pregnant with my son. 10. I ran my first 5k yesterday, on Mother's Day and I hate my time. There was 2400 runners and I couldn't get through the pack.
current weight: 128.0
Posts: 1,561 5/10/09 9:45 P
Hmm... 1) I am a school counselor for preschoolers, kindergartners, and first graders. And yes, unfortunately, young children DO need counselors. 2) I am an only child. 3) I have been married to my high school sweetheart and we are trying to get pregnant with our first child. 4) i have a golden retriever and she is my baby until I have one. I also have a 6 year old kitty and he's a spoiled brat. 5) I never exercised when I was younger, I didn't start exercising regularly until I was 23. 6) I hate shopping for clothes, even though I am down to a 6 or 8. Hate. It. 7) I love to cook and bake. 8) I am running my first 5k this July. 9) My husband drives a car and I drive a truck. 10) I love chocolate and hate pickles.
2. I have been to New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Mexico, and about half of our United States.
3. My son was born at 31 weeks, 6 days.
4. I am a high school science teacher.
5. I recently renewed my National Board Certification to teach high school science.
6. I LOVE being 40.
7. My birthday is May 18.
8. My favorite animals are frogs and fish.
9. I HATE mayonnaise.
10. I have been on the coaching staff of a YMCA national champion swim team.
The Joy is in the Journey!
Pounds lost: 1.2
Posts: 475 5/5/09 11:08 P
OK, let's see.
1. I have been happily married for five years and we have two great boys (and are trying for a third).
2. When my husband and I got married it was because we had a logical discussion and decided to just jump right it and go for it... after knowing eachother for four months. Best decision ever!
3.After having two kids I am ten pounds heavier than my wedding weight, and am slowly working it off.
4.I ran my first half marathon in March and am running another one this Sunday.
5. I secretly hoped to kick my hubby's butt in the HM this Sunday, but recent training tells me he will likely win this one.
6. I was planning to run a full marathon in Sept/Oct, but hopefully we will be pregnant by then.
7. I only have six months left of grad school and I will be a Marriage Therapist. Yeah!
8. Even with all the training, I have not figured out how to get my husband to do dishes, take our trash, etc!
9. I am not really sure I want to go after a PhD anymore.
10. I will eventually have my dream job and do AIDS education in sub-sahara Africa, and everyone who said it can't be done will just have to be stunned and eat their words. J/K!
Pain is nothing compared to the feeling of quitting.
Winter Pineapple Classic - 5k- Nov 08 Turkey Trot 08 10k 62 minutes Toys for Tots 10k 61:48 12k's of Christmas 12/14 canceled due to ice Feb 8th -Love em or leave em 5k March 29th - Whidbey Half Marathon 2:32min. May 10th- Kirkland Half Marathon :2:28
August 6 - HM Trail Run
Pounds lost: 3.0
Posts: 799 5/5/09 2:08 P
1) i have the running bug something FIERCE-- but it tends to be triggered by fun runs & competition as opposed to the everyday training.
2) i ran my last event on a torn hamstring and was secretly VERY bitter that a highschool friend beat me by 3 minutes.
3) i have the habit of buying clothes for the size i'm almost in-- as opposed to the size i am-- b/c i'm convinced i'll get there sooner than i actually/realistically will.
4) i will run a full marathon in the fall of 2010
5) i dream of completing an ironman triathlon at some point in my life (odd, since i've never done a short one...)
6) i tell my friends i love wearing my giant cashmere scarves b/c it makes me feel a bit more put-together, but really.... it's just like having an adult-blanket at hand
7) i LOVE 80s hair bands
8) i've never been to florida, NYC, vegas, or LA but i have been to liechtenstein
9) the law & order theme song-- and the show in general-- freaks me out
10) i dream that one day an affordable, everyday invention will exist so that i can simply iron out my cellulite.
Edited by: CANLOSE81 at: 5/5/2009 (14:29)
current weight: 184.0
Posts: 327 5/5/09 11:55 A
I've enjoyed reading everyone else's 10 Things!
1. I'm married with four kids, whom I watch while my wife works. It can be overwhelming at times, but I love being a dad.
2. I work part-time from home as a freelance writer. I either want to write full-time or teach when my youngest starts school.
3. I'm the only one in my family who isn't in an engineering- or science-related occupation.
4. I was the slowest runner on my cross-country team in high-school, finishing last in all but one race. It still blows me away that I can now finish a 10K much closer to the front than the back.
5. I've been running here and there for more than 12 years now as an adult, yet have only grown to love it in the last year.
6. I love bits and pieces from every music genre (classical to country to hip-hop), but usually can't listen to more than three songs on a radio station before on comes on that I just can't stand.
7. I'm a revert to the Catholic faith.
8. I'm a big believer in small government - a political locavore, if you will.
9. I love cooking, especially things I've never made before.
10. My dream home would be a nice cabin in the middle of Yosemite.
Edited by: RUNANDWRITE at: 5/5/2009 (11:56)
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an achievement but a habit." -Aristotle
Fitness Minutes: (73,786) Posts: 11,800 5/1/09 12:00 P
1. If you had told my 15 year old self that I'd be a personal trainer, totally obsessed with exercise and eating healthy, and training for a marathon, my 15 year old self would have told you to get your head checked. And then gone to McDonalds.
2. I'm technologically proficient, except remote controls scare me and I won't use one.
3. I've never touched or held a baby.
4. I don't watch TV at all except for Hockey Night in Canada.
5. I'm deathly scared of glowing red space heaters.
6. Despite my junky fast food past, I have never eaten a Big Mac or a Whopper.
7. I like getting up early.
8. I don't like getting up early and then having to rush out the door. So I get up super extra early and I'm a zombie until I get out of the house.
9. I have a terrible habit of sitting around in sweaty workout clothes for hours.
10. I like sporks.
Never underestimate the strength of a woman. Never f@#k with one who runs 26.2 miles for fun.
Agatsu Kettlebell Instructor Can-Fit-Pro Personal Trainer Specialist 8 time marathoner Mom
11 Days until: Niagara Falls Women''s HM
Posts: 2,348 5/1/09 11:42 A
1.) I am a 28 year old mother of 3 boys ages 10, 7, and 4. 2.) I have more on my plate than I have time for (3 kids, 3 horses, 4 dogs, 8 acres, a full time job, PTA mom, a hubby and running) 3.)I always wanted to be a nurse but ended up doing business financial services for a home town bank 3.)I have one of the most crazy lives, odd things happen to me and all I can do is laugh (people who know me expect crazy stories...and love it) 4.)I am heavier now that when I was delivering my 3rd son (how does that happen?) 5.) I have lived in FL my whole life and have never been to Disney (but will in Jan for the 1/2!)and have only been out of FL like 3 times. (I need to get out more!) 6.) I am having a hard time getting faster and I take it too personally and I know I shouldn't. 7.) I often hate the way I look, for some reason in my mind I should look like I did when I was 17. NOPE! LOL! 8.) My biggest regret in life was not finishing high school. I was 17 when I got pregnant with my oldest son and had him at the end of my senior year. I still haven't gone back to finish or get a GED. 9.)For a whole year of my life I passed out all of the time, I saw 13 Dr.'s and had every test imaginable and never found out why. I wasn't able to drive, ride my horses, swim in a pool or anything for a year and one day it just stopped. I haven't passed out in 16 months! 10.)It was always my dream to make it to the NFR (National Finals Rodeo) for barrel racing-I started Rodeo when I was 14 and took a break to have children.I have a palomino that I have ready for barrels but haven't taken him to any shows yet.
Fitness Minutes: (4,880) Posts: 279 4/29/09 8:55 A
1. I have caught the running bug. I've always been active but never a runner. I'm running more now than I have in my entire life. 2. I'm 28 years old. 3. I got married last June to my BF of 7 years. Our 1 yr anniversary is coming up. 4. We don't have any kids yet, but plan to in a few years. 5. I love animals. We have 5 cats and 2 dogs; a German Shepherd and a black Lab. 6. I have a B.S. in Accounting and have an accounting job that I hate. I too am only here for a paycheck. 7. I absolutely HATE the cold. I love warmth and sun! 8. I grew up in NJ, moved to FL for 3 years, hated it except for the weather, and moved back home to NJ in 2006. We bought the house I grew up in from my parents. 9. I just completed my first race ever, a 3K in 15:51. Much better than I expected. 10. Back in January of 2007, I was 178.6lbs. I'm down to 145 and have 15 more pounds to lose before getting to my goal.
This was fun!
Donna in NJ!
4/25/09~Run for the Animals 3K~My first race ever! Official time: 15:51 5/30/09~Avon 5K~26:08 6/27/09~Save Barnegat Bay 8K~42:51 7/26/09~Cause for Paws 5K~28:07
current weight: 157.2
Posts: 226 4/29/09 12:21 A
1.Always admired runners, so I decided to join the club in 2001 and have never looked back. 2.When I run and do hills I call them my friends because they make me stronger. 3.My daughters stretch with me and imitate all of my exercise moves and then challenge me by contorting their bodies into impossible ways for my 38 year old body. 4.I make my husband go on long runs with me and only run at my pace! 5.Sometimes I can have 6 books on the go at one time. 6.I think running is better than any antidepressant ever made and I think all doctors should prescribe exercise to combat the blues. 7.I would love to buy a running skirt when I reach my goal weight. 8.I would like to travel to different race in other provinces/states/countries. 9.I'm addicted to running gear, I have a Garmin,Ipod/Nike+ and a pedometer and I wear all three on my runs. 10.I think I have about 20 technical running shirts.
2012 Running Goals: Resolution Run- 5K Done 5 Peaks Trail Endurance Runs - Northern Alberta Wild Roses Half Marathon Moose is Loose Half Marathon Victoria Full Marathon
Previous Races: Lots of 5K's, 10K's and 11 Half Marathons
Pounds lost: 22.2
Posts: 11,192 4/28/09 5:15 P
1. I was born in Russia. 2. I speak Russian, German and American. 3. I have 6 kids (2 mine, 4 step-kids). 4. I have 7 brothers and 3 sisters. 5. I started to run in 2006 ... but for stress relize only while I was going through a divorce. Now I am a runner for fun. 6. I am training for half- marathon. 7. I do like to spend time alone because I never had that when I was growing up. :) 8. I got married 5 days ago. 9. I am a clean freak and my kids do not like that about me... :( 10. I am very happy where I am in my life at this point. Thank you
current weight: 148.0
Posts: 9 4/27/09 5:14 P
Hi everyone! Thanks NICAZZ for coming up with this. It really is a great way to introduce ourselves. It's been fun to read through what everyone posted!
1.I just ran my first distance run EVER in March! I ran the half at Shamrock in VA Beach. It was a perfect day for it. 2.I moved from MO to PA in August and absolutely love it out here even though I miss home terribly. 3.I have three roommates and none of us had ever met before moving into our place. We found each other online! Amazingly enough, we get along perfectly and even plan to keep living together after our lease is up. 4.We have two dogs at our place, a boxer and and an english mastiff. The boxer is my running buddy. 5. I desperately wish I were good at basketball! It's definitely NOT my game! 6. I use running to clear my head which is usually a good thing except if I'm stressed out...I tend to run faster and don't pay attention to my speed or distance...I'm working on that one! Haha. 7. I would gladly sleep on the beach every night if it meant waking up to the ocean every morning! 8. If I told my coach from HS that I run for fun now he probably wouldn't believe me...I HATED running in practices! 9. Everyone teases me that I have the movie/TV taste of a boy with the exception of Lifetime movies. I got into a habit of turning them on as background noise when I had to stay up late in college and still do it when I'm working all hours of the night on projects at home. Romance, murder, mystery all based on real life stories...you can't beat it! Haha! 10. My goal is to run one more half marathon and then a full by then end of 2010! I know for some that is nothing but definitely not for a novice like me!
Edited by: ALIRAE7 at: 4/27/2009 (17:18)
current weight: 210.0
Posts: 1,548 4/27/09 10:48 A
1. I started running in April 2008 and have realized that I need to work more on the mental part of running than the physical part. 2. I've been married for 14 years go an incredible guy and have an 11 year old daughter. 3. My daughter is now my running partner, and I couldn't be more thrilled. 4. I work part-time in healthcare, an industry that never fails to disappoint me. 5. I love doing home improvement and could use a large lottery pay out. 6. I'm 41 and have become very selfish about putting myself first. It took me 40 years to realize that if momma's not happy, then nobody is. 7. I recently finished my bachelor's degree and hope to make a difference in healthcare, a field I've been in for over 20 years. 8. I love spending time with my girlfriends/sisters. Only running is better therapy. 9. I live with a talkative, silly cat that I never thought I'd become fond of. 10. I've lost 52 pounds and put 10 back on over the winter. I'm okay with that.
Edited by: FREECLOUD at: 4/27/2009 (10:49)
"I have achieved oneness with the road - Please dial 911 for me" - Unknown
"A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness." — James E. Starrs, The Literary Cyclist
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom." -Sir Roger Bannister, first runner to run a sub-4 minute mile
current weight: 123.4
Posts: 10,583 4/27/09 10:16 A
1. I ran my first 5K November 08 not knowing if I would even keep running in my workout routine...hahaha...6 months and 10 5Ks, 2 10Ks and a 4 miler and I'm still running. 2. I'm 34 years old, 17 years out from a major reconstruction of my right knee and was told at that time I may never walk again without a cane, now my knees are virtually pain free (minus arthritis flare ups) 3. I hate cold weather, unless I'm running. 4. I love to travel but having 2 small children and a husband with social anxiety I have learned to stay closer to home. 5. I love the fact my 4 year old is just like me. He wants to run, play sports, always be on the go and loves to travel. I hope the 19 month old will be the same (he sees me get ready to go, he runs to get his shoes!) 6. I wanted a daughter, but now I am happy I have boys as I was always a big athlete and never really a girly girl and wouldn't even know how to teach a girl to put on make up, or would I want to buy frilly dresses. 7. I miss my friends terribly in OKC and Emily who has since moved to Norway 8. I want to run a road race in every state and then start on countries! 9. I have been fighting an ongoing hip injury for over a month and think I may have diagnosed my self with issues in the IT band but only in the lateral hip, based on stretches to work that area 10. I use to want to be a doctor and now that I work in medical offices (as IT) I am glad I never become one! I respect the nurses much more!
Upcoming registered races: * San Diego Rock N Roll 13.1 *Make It By Midnight 13.1 *Savannah Rock N Roll 13.1 *Paint the Town 5K *Space Coast 26.2 *Las Vegas Rock N Roll 13.1
current weight: 148.0
Fitness Minutes: (30,242) Posts: 30,711 4/26/09 8:33 P
1. 7 weeks ago I could not run to the corner without having to stop. Now, my longest run so far has been an hour, with only 3 minutes of walking. 2. I am surpised at how far I can push myself and not overdo it. I didn't know I had it in me. 3. My current goal is to run a 10K in 6 weeks. 4. I want to run it in as close to 1 hour as possible, but finishing is more important to me than time. 5. My dog is my running mate, and he loves it. 6. Whatever is wrong with my stomach is not stopping me from attempting this. I will not cause undo injury to myself, but I am finding a way to work around it. 7. I have two kids who hate running, but will be cheering me on from the sidelines. 8. I am over 6' tall. 9. I am working on stride length, without over-striding, and hill running soon. 10. I can't believe how much I want to run now. It amazes me.
Katrina Saskatchewan Time Zone
You can not change yesterday - it's done. You can only dream of tomorrow. The only day you can change is today. What are you going to do today to reach your goals of tomorrow?
Go little Turtle Go!
current weight: 230.4
Posts: 803 4/26/09 10:56 A
1. I started running with a purpose about 3.5 years ago, at 41 years old. 2. I'll never be fast, but still love doing races. 3. Running isn't just what I do, its part of who I am. I love the challenge. 4. I am very happily married and will hit 15 years in June. 5. I have not given birth to children but DH and I have raised two awesome kids that we could not be more proud of. 6. I'm a legal assistant and love my job, especially since I only work 4 days a week. 7. I'm 45 and life just keeps getting better and better. 8. We have two geriatric labs, one 11 and one 12. We probably won't have anymore after these two, as we're getting more active. 9. I have red hair and the temper to go with it. 10. I am so blessed with so many good things in my life. A wonderful family, good job and really good health.
Neither real food, nor exercise, come from a box. 2013 Races: Beat Coach Pete 5k 4/13 Gunfighter HM 6/1
Posts: 2,863 4/25/09 9:43 P
1. I ran my first 10k (sp far the only 10k) May 28, 2008. My time was 1:02:02:72. I had been running for about 2 months when I ran this race. 2. I am 37 years old. 3. Stay at home mother of 2 boys. Ages 6 & 7. 4.My hubby and I have been married for 10 years now and we are both surprised that we are still very happy. Not to many of our friends are. 5.I have never worked-out or been in sports prior to this. I was devoted to mountain biking before having kids. 6. I had my kids a year apart and gained 90 lbs! I lost the weight, but now I love working-out! (huh) 7. I'm 4' 11", but still growing! I know I am. LOL 8. I don't like the cold, but LOVE colorado. 9. I have severe asthma. 10. I still love biking and have a little road rash right now. LOL
Each of is an athlete, some are just in training.
Fitness Minutes: (40,338) Posts: 5,522 4/25/09 7:40 P
1. I am 49 and started running at 44, but was sporadic for the first couple of years. 2. I don't have a lot of confidence in my athletic abilities 3. I am 5'3" and have always wished to be 5'8" so I could reach the stuff in the upper cupboards. However, when I am in coach on a plane I am happy to be 5'3" 4. I love to travel and have been to South Africa, Japan, U.K., Italy, Cayman Islands, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico. I would like to see more! 5. I want to learn to surf 6. I have never been married and don't have any kids, but looking back would like to have found the right guy and had a couple 7. I have had dogs for about 40 of my years, but don't have one now because I am not home enough. I have a cat who treats my entire house like a litter box, but she's almost 17 so I can't completely blame her. I also have 2 parakeets and the cat is afraid of them. 8. I am a project manager and I work in the tax department of a huge company and hate it. I only do it for the paycheck. 9. I have been with my BF for over 10 years 10. I have great family and friends
"God gave you your body as a gift, so you should take care of it." - My Mom
Posts: 17,897 4/25/09 6:40 P
1. I 35 and have been running for about 15 years 2. I almost always put running ahead of everything/everyone else 3. I work in commercial real estate finance, and while I like my job, I am hoping to retire at 40 4. I want to run a marathon, but I am afraid that I will start to hate running during the training or else not be able to handle the rest required to properly recuperate 5. I don't have children and don't plan on having them 6. I have 2 cats that waaaay spoiled (one is "helping" me write this right now!) 7. I am not married but have been with BF for 5 years and own property with him - basically married without the paper 8. I have run 10 half marathons and that is my favorite distance 9.I have really bad SAD and consider it a non-negotiable that I must live in a warm climate! 10. I also feel blessed with all of the great things in my life!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts" - Winston Churchill
2012 Running Mileage: 2,065
Fitness Minutes: (54,824) Posts: 1,081 4/25/09 5:45 P
1. I am a life long runner and doubt if i will ever really stop. 2. I am happily married to my spouse- we just celebrated 15 years. 3. I am a lover of children but don't have my own. I spend lots of time with my friends that have children and they (the children) often call me to come over and play! 4. I am a musician. 5. I read about three books a week. 6. I enjoy the beach more than almost any other place, even when i cna't swim because it's too cold (which for me is most of the time!!! lol) 7. I wish I enjoyed cooking more, but it is not one of the things that I particularly enjoy- i am very lucky that my husband is not a picky eater! 8. I haven't really eaten red meat or pork since I was 19- i am now 46. 9. I wish I could retire really soon- not that I wouldn't work, but I would try something very different. 10. I am a generally happy person. shari
Edited by: SHARIRUN at: 4/25/2009 (17:50)
current weight: 140.0
Posts: 8,664 4/25/09 5:41 P
1. I love my family but I know I put myself first too often. 2. I love my faith, Orthodox Christian. 3. We've been "adopted" by our neighbor's cat; he loves us, we love him. He was a stray that they adopted. He's lovely. 4. I stopped caring so much about my race time and pace. I'm happy if I ran well and felt good (but I'm not complacent). 5. I used to be deathly afraid of dogs, now I love 'em. But, they're just too much work, so have fish. 6. I lost my job in January and haven't looked for a new one. I don't think I want to go back into the same industry (mutual fund marketing/financial services). I don't know what I want to be when I grow up, I'm only 46. 7. I really enjoy cooking but not sure if I want to make it my livelihood. 8. I really like the legal field but I don't think I want to be a lawyer. 9. I used to hate my curly brown hair, now I think it's really great. 10. Ok Elisel, I hate to copy you but I agree, I feel totally blessed every day because I have a wonderful family and friends, and I have my health.
An attitude of gratitude can wipe away bad thoughts anytime. - A fellow Sparker
Fitness Minutes: (60,537) Posts: 1,805 4/25/09 3:31 P
1. I never ran a day in my life until I discovered Couch 2 5K, now I can't live without it. 2. I was overweight or obese my entire life until I did WW online and lost 65 pounds. I kept it off for a year now and never plan to go back. 3. I love the Red Sox and Patriots. 4. I have a wonderful boyfriend of 13 years. We own a house and are basically married without the piece of paper. 5. I adore cats but DBF is allergic. I also love dogs but we aren't home enough to have one now. So we have fish. 6. I work in Boston in the financial industry and I actually really like my job. 7. I love outdoor birds and have several feeders in our yard. 8. I am a big fan of comic book, sci-fi, and action movies. 9. I never plan on having children. 10. I feel blessed every day for have a great job, great friends, great family, and a great life.
1. I am a marathon and in training for my second marathon. 2. I spend a lot of time alone - the people I find interesting are typically people I shouldn't hang with. :-) 3. Some day soon I hope to have enough money to travel to different places to run races...first I have to put my children through college. 4. I am Canadian. 5. I only watch a bit of TV but I listen to a lot of music. 6. I sometimes put my running first...yes, in front of my children and spouse. 7. I dream of running the Boston Marathon...with a camera in hand. 8. I only work about 10 hours a week outside my home. 9. I have a cat and I take care of it, but I don't like her very much - I am not an animal person. 10. I am happier now than I have ever been. For me, life just seems to be getting better.
"Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start."
I stole this idea from another team, but I think it's a great way to get to know each other and find people with similar interests etc. Here's mine.
1. I ran my first (and only) 5K April 5, 2009 and finished in 36:26. Before the race I wanted to like running, but I didn't really enjoy it. The race was exactly what I needed and now I'm training for a 10K on May 31. 2. I'm 26 years old. 3. I'm going to school in Calgary to be a sonographer and love it! 4. I love playing volleyball and wish I was taller (I'm 5'6"). 5. I love travelling and have been to Spain, Italy, France, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Mexico, USA, and Canada (home). My sister is getting married in Switzerland in September and I'm currently planning a trip to Nicaragua for December/January when I finish school. 6. I love to sing and am pretty good, but really shy about it. I would love to play Eponine in Les Mis. 7. I am a Saggitarius and really fit the description. 8. I have a degree in Biology. I'm a total science nerd, I find it fascinating! 9. I love to read. My favorite book is Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins. It blew my mind. 10. I absolutely loathe winter, which is unfortunate seeing how that makes up a large portion of the year in Canada.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkTeams, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.