|Author:||Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:||
Sounds wonderful, I think I'll try this recipe. I could live on soup. Love it!
Blessings to you!
What we are going through is our transportation to our destination.
With the colder weather coming I will be eating a lot more soups. I love bean soups and any soup with beans in it. Thank you for this post.
Irene from Missouri
Any type of action always drives motivation.
"Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another." - John Dewey
I really enjoy soups of all kinds. Beans are one of my favorite ingredients. Looking forward to trying it.
"Men's best successes come after their worst failures"
Henry Ward Beecher
Co-leader of Lose W8, Feel Gr8, Look Gr8 - Come check us out.
Don't tell me the sky is the limit – there are footprints on the moon.
"When you arrive at your future, will you blame your past?"
"Change your thoughts and you change your world"
BEAN SOUP WITH BEEF SMOKIES (BEEF STICKS) IN RUMANIAN STYLE
* I think this is one of the best, if not the best soup I've ever made.
* I bought the beef smokies (beef sticks) in the market for $ 5.95 per pound.
Only 6 1/2 ounces are needed per recipe (200 grams)
Well worth the cost.
* Great for company
* Freezes well
* To speed up sometimes the preparations, I'll try to use a low sodium CAN of beans (drained and rinsed), instead of cooking the dry beans.
* I added extra cup of dry beans (or extra one can of beans)
* I added some extra low sodium chicken stock (from Costco)
* Great winter soup (but I'll eat it all year long)
1 1/2 cups of dry white beans (I used dried large lima beans)
1 onion, chopped (I used a large onion)
1 carrot, sliced (I used 4 carrots)
Parsley root (I used 1/2 a bunch of flat italian parsley, chopped)
Celery root (I used 4 celery stalks, chopped)
1/2 green pepper, diced
4 tablespoons oil ( I've used 1 tablespoon olive oil)
6 1/2 ounces (200 grams) of beef smokies, also called beef sticks, sliced
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground oregano
4 ounces tomato sauce (small can)
1. Soak the beans in water (cover the beans) for 10 hours (overnight)
2. Drain the beans, rinse and put in a large pot, adding water to just cover the beans. Bring to a boil, remove the foam, and add a little more boiled water. Simmer for about 2 hours, until the beans are soft (not mooshy)
*I added couple of times more water to the pot so the beans stayed covered with water.
3. Dice all the vegetables.
4. In another large pot heat the oil, and saute the beef sticks. Add the onion, and saute until golden color. Add remaining vegetables and salt. pepper, bay leaves and oregano.
5. Add to the vegetable pot the beans with their cooking liquid, and keep simmering for 15 minutes more.
6. Mix the tomato sauce in 3 cups of water. Add to the soup and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
Wow! What a superb soup!
Edited by: PERSISTENCEMIMI at: 10/3/2009 (17:06)
I'll celebrate 10 years of maintenance on July 2nd, 2014!
Leader of W8watchers superb healthy recipes