Author: Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:
IMAREADER's Photo IMAREADER SparkPoints: (99,473)
Fitness Minutes: (8,678)
Posts: 5,223
6/17/12 1:32 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I can't believe it. I think that there's one of those suckers in my flower bed up against the house. I'll have to carefully pull it out in a little while. It may be something different, but the leaves look similar (although a little skinnier) and it looks like it's getting ready to sprout some white blooms on top. It's about 2 feet high right now.

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- what a ride!


 Pounds lost: 2.5 
 
0
26
52
78
104
IMAREADER's Photo IMAREADER SparkPoints: (99,473)
Fitness Minutes: (8,678)
Posts: 5,223
6/16/12 10:23 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
That's very interesting. Several years ago, after doing some gardening, I developed a rash just along my left lower arm. It was itchy and I had watery blisters. It gradually went away after I used the usual 'poison ivy-type' treatments. I never saw what kind of plant I tangled with, but I wonder if it was one of those (although I don't remember seeing one). It was probably something different, since I haven't had any type of sun reaction in that spot. But, I always thought it was kind of weird that I got that rash and blisters just in that one place. I had read that some people can have a reaction from fungus that grows on rose bushes and I remember tangling with a rose bush that day. It could have been anything, though (when I garden, I jump right in--I'm always getting caught in a bush--or the fence--or a low-hanging branch...). I'm going to inspect my yard tomorrow. If it's made it to Tennessee, it could be in Mississippi.

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- what a ride!


 Pounds lost: 2.5 
 
0
26
52
78
104
GLC2009's Photo GLC2009 Posts: 1,292
6/16/12 6:53 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
amazing what grows out there. i can't believe they used to sell it in nurseries.

Gail


 Pounds lost: 41.0 
 
0
16.5
33
49.5
66
FLOWERDALEJEWEL's Photo FLOWERDALEJEWEL Posts: 34,436
6/16/12 3:38 A

Community Team Member

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply


That looks like an absolute horror of a plant. I've never seen it here.....thank heavens

Peace and long life - Jules

Team Leader Rescued/Adopted Dog and Cat Lover's Team

www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_i
ndividual.asp?gid=39487


Team Leader SLIGHTLY SKEWED & A Little Warped Team

www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_i
ndividual.asp?gid=16802


Team Leader Home & Garden & DIY - On A Budget

www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_i
ndividual.asp?gid=10178

GARDENCHRIS's Photo GARDENCHRIS SparkPoints: (186,836)
Fitness Minutes: (72,188)
Posts: 9,144
6/15/12 10:21 P

Community Team Member

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
sounds like very nasty stuff!



Nothing changes unless something changes.

I am a treasured child of the most High God
www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_i
ndividual.asp?gid=4459


co leader of Sarcastic Unlimited!


 
186,836 SparkPoints
GLC2009's Photo GLC2009 Posts: 1,292
6/15/12 7:15 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
if you put roundup on the leaves it should work. we tried cutting it and putting roundup down the hollow stem and then we tried putting it on the leaves. the leaves work much better.
remember to wear protective gear when dealing with it....no joke. tyvek coveralls, gloves, protective glasses and shower after your done.

the best thing i think though is to dig it up by the roots to get it all out. you poison the one plant and then the underground root system can go for many, many feet and pop up somewhere else.

what needlefrau says is true. it can come back year after year when you expose the affected skin to sunlight.

also, if there are seedheads, carefully put a garbage bag over the flower to contain the seeds before you cut it down. it'll spread via seeds and roots and the seeds have a 15 year lifespan so it can be dormant for a long time.

i was lucky, i just got it on my legs, and it seems to be fine now. i wear sunscreen so that probably helps.

Gail


 Pounds lost: 41.0 
 
0
16.5
33
49.5
66
NEEDLEFRAU SparkPoints: (919)
Fitness Minutes: (878)
Posts: 25
6/15/12 6:14 P

Send Private Message
Reply
Wow. Thanks. I have been having very painful reactions to sunlight for about 4 years, right after I had a very blistery rash presumed to be from poison oak. Maybe now we can do something about it!

SIMPLELIFE4REAL's Photo SIMPLELIFE4REAL SparkPoints: (52,645)
Fitness Minutes: (52,811)
Posts: 8,260
6/15/12 4:47 P

Community Team Member

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
After posting my other reply, I did a little more searching...Sure enough hogweed has made it's way to Tennessee where I live. Grrrr....

Here's a link with info on how to get rid of it..
www.ehow.com/how_2073089_get-rid-gia
nt
-hogweed.html


This plant is BAD NEWS!

Kay from Tennessee



 Pounds lost: 33.0 
 
0
8.25
16.5
24.75
33
SIMPLELIFE4REAL's Photo SIMPLELIFE4REAL SparkPoints: (52,645)
Fitness Minutes: (52,811)
Posts: 8,260
6/15/12 4:40 P

Community Team Member

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
wow! It's amazing how I happen to stumble across things just when I need to. I saw the plant for the first time (that I'm aware of) today growing right in the middle of my mother's flower garden. She has moved into assisted living and I've been caring for the house while it is for sale. Since her garden is perenials and includes a lot of wild flowers, I wasn't sure if this was a weed or a wildflower. When I read your post, I had never heard of the plant so I Googled for images of it. Sure enough...it was exactly what had sprung up in the middle of the garden. As far as I know, there is only one plant there right now....but I'm going to get it out! What about just spraying RoundUp on it to kill it? At this point, it doesn't seem to be taking over.

Kay from Tennessee



 Pounds lost: 33.0 
 
0
8.25
16.5
24.75
33
MZDOOR's Photo MZDOOR SparkPoints: (21,755)
Fitness Minutes: (6,180)
Posts: 314
6/15/12 4:26 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Wow, I have never heard of that stuff. It sure sounds like a booger bear. I'm glad that they helped you hopefully get rid of it and at their cost to boot. And I thought crab grass was a pain!

 Pounds lost: 0.0 
 
0
15.1
30.2
45.3
60.4
GLC2009's Photo GLC2009 Posts: 1,292
6/15/12 2:51 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
have you ever heard of hogweed? it's a nasty plant. and we have been overrun with it. the plant is toxic and if you get any on you, it is photosensitive and you don't know you have any until you get some sun and then big watery blisters come out!! if it gets on your face or you get into lots of it, it can be disfiguring and possibly blind you.

we bought a property with a fabulous garden, but, this is one of the plants we have. when i first got burned by it, we researched to figure out what it was. after finding out, we worked at trying to remove it--we have 2 acres and there was alot. we ended up getting a team of people from the government invasive species council. they had a grant in place and it was paid for. all this work just seemed to make the plant angry and it spread!! even though we worked at keeping it down and making sure to not let seedheads grow, it has been relentless. so, i called the invasive species council again this year. they no longer had the same grant in place, but, they had a thing where they would pay half of the costs. that still would've been a couple thousand dollars, which i just don't have right now.

the woman came out and saw the enormity of our problem and went to work. she found funds to pay for it. because it has been deemed invasive by the government, they had to put their money where their mouth is and have it removed. so for the past 2 1/2 days, there has been a crew of 5 working in our yard. they have done an amazing job. they took most everything out by the roots and hauled it away.
so, crossing my fingers that most of it is gone and over the next couple years we can completely eradicate the horrible stuff.
i guess way back when, they sold it in nurseries before anyone knew how crazy it grew and took over. so, a previous owner had planted some along the creek (it is attractive) and voila--a nightmare in progress.
genesis even wrote a song about it called return of the giant hogweed. emoticon
has anyone else run into this monster? what did you do to get rid of it?

Gail


 Pounds lost: 41.0 
 
0
16.5
33
49.5
66
Page: 1 of (1)  

Report Innappropriate Post

Other Home & Garden & DIY - On A Budget Introduce Yourself to Team Forum Posts

Topics: Last Post:
hi 1/14/2014 8:56:53 PM
City girl trying to go country 5/3/2013 10:13:37 AM
Hi, I'm new 5/11/2014 6:55:55 AM
Hi! New Here 6/12/2014 6:16:10 PM
Hello! 4/2/2014 11:53:44 AM

Thread URL: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=-1x10178x48540152

Review our Community Guidelines