i take about 5000 a day since i sit inside most of the day. HOwever in the summer I do cut that quite a lot since i can get it mostly from Mr. Sun (which has really been playing hide and seek this winter)
I was further told by my doctor that you can't really OD on vitamin D. (you would need to take an awful lot) When I am not feeling well, he usually has me taking an upwards of 50K IU for two or three days. Once i feel better i go back down to my 5k.
I take Vitamin D as I have a doctor-verified deficiency. I had a short-term prescription that she gave me and now I supplement with D3 1000IU twice a day per her recommendation.
Too much vitamin D can be toxic though. I would not take vitamin D supplements without a doctor's advice. You can get vitamin D through foods like whole eggs, fortified milk, and some seafood. And, of course, my favorite way...
The last official recommendation I saw was 600IU for adults with a tolerable upper limit being 1000IU. Since Vitamin D is fat soluble it won't be flushed easily from the body and you should really only take an excess if recommended by a doctor to treat a deficiency.
“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” ~ Randy Pausch
"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results." ~ Art Turock
"We have a saying in Tibet: If a problem can be solved, there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good." ~ 7 Years in Tibet
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.