Replacing food with "fake junk food" in order to cope with your depression is definitely not the answer. In addition to having a treatment plan in order for depression, you need to find a healthy form of comfort that is NOT food related. Ask yourself; do you honestly feel better after you've eaten your feelings? Or just during the moment of indulgence?
I tend to be an emotional eater, I think everyone can be from time to time. I certainly don't feel any better after I overeat/make poor food choices, I feel worse! I feel guilty and the feelings are still there. You have to have alternative "healthy" and positive way of coping with your feelings;
1. Talk to a friend/family
2. Talk to yourself/talk yourself up- brainstorm solutions to improve whatever situation is making you feel down.
3. Exercise (when you exercise you release endorphins, the feel-good chemical that can greatly improve your mood).
4. Reconnect with nature/the world- take a nature walk, walk at a city park, around your neighbourhood.
5. Soak in a warm bath. (use candles, incense to set a relaxing atmosphere)
6. Give yourself a pedicure/manicure/pamper yourself
7. Engage yourself in your favourite hobby, a craft or a book.
8. Clean the house/run errands/work on a project- I know productivity always makes me feel loads better. Sitting around and being unproductive makes me feel even more depressed. This is one of my main outlets... my husband knows when I start cleaning the house with *intent* to steer clear for a spell, lol. But I always feel loads better after.
9. Eat healthy! I know when I have too much sugar in my diet it gives me similar effects as a hangover from alcohol. I get headaches, feel irritable, tired and depressed. Plus, when you make healthy food choices throughout the day, you'll feel better about how you're treating yourself and your body.
10. Play some music. Whether it's songs that describe how you're feeling (sometimes it's nice to know there are other people going through the same thing as you and when you hear how you're feeling put into words, it's very therapeutic) or motivational/inspirational music.
Edited by: JENNILACEY at: 7/16/2013 (08:11)
Take your focus off the Marshmallow. www.leangains.com/2010/01/marshmallo
"Toning" is marketing muscles to women who are afraid if they pick up a barbell, they'll leave the gym looking like She-Hulk. It doesn't happen, what does happen is you get results. Lifting Barbie weights does nothing but waste time.
|67 Maintenance Weeks