It really depends on the length of the trip, whether you'll be packing a cooler or not, and whether you're planning on eating while you're driving or if you'll be stopping for snack / meal breaks.
This week we had 4 people out on 3 different 12-hour day trips, so we packed the cooler and stopped to eat every couple of hours. In our cooler was packages with:
- cut up broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and snap peas
- cut up cantaloupe and watermelon
- strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and apples
- onion dill dip made with greek yogurt
- Babybel cheese portions
- sliced up steak, chicken, and pork loin (all planned leftovers from previous dinners)
- assortment of whole grain bread, whole grain pitas, and leaf lettuce to use as wraps
- horseradish mustard and dijon mustard
- peanut butter
- individual portions of yogurt
- boiled eggs
- home-made oat bran muffins, peanut butter coconut balls, and oatmeal raisin cookies
- quinoa salad with almonds, spinach, gruyere, and onions
- lots of water and a small selection of juices
- lots of coffee
- dark chocolate
We ate 5 or 6 times each day, and were able to each have different, balanced meals every time, as well as have a variety of snacks. It seems like enough food for a small army, but really it all fit nicely in to a large cooler and one shopping bag. I'm the only one watching what I'm eating, so this mix made it really easy for me to pre-portion mine out and store them separately in plastic bags.
The big thing, though, is to not forget a few plates, some cutlery, a garbage bag, and some cloths for washing your hands.
Most of what we brought are also great finger-foods, so can be nibbled while driving, too.
Hope you have fun on the road!
Start weight: 240 lbs
Goal weight: 155 lbs (reached March 7, 2014)
Afraid of a colonoscopy? Believe me - they are much less frightening than surgery and chemotherapy.
Colonoscopies allow polyps to be removed before they can become cancer, or let cancers be found before they are too widespread. If you are 50 or older, or have any symptoms, please don't let fear stop you from covering your butt.
| current weight: -2.2 under