A friend of mine recently posted the following on Facebook, and I'm looking for someone to help me know if this is correct information. If so, how much MSG is too much? I'm especially thinking of my children. I like to use fat free dressings, low fat yogurt, and diet soda. Is moderation still key? I would appreciate any insight you can give me on this matter. Here's the posting:
MSG is an amino acid used as a flavor-enhancer in processed foods (one of the most common food additives).
WHY ITíS BAD: Itís an known excitotoxin, which is a neurotoxic chemical additive shown to harm nerve cellsó overexciting them, sometimes to the point of cell death. Regularly consuming excitotoxins like MSG destroys significant numbers of brain cells and can lead to serious health problems, including neurological disorders. (The two other common excitotoxins used in food are aspartic acid (found in aspartame) and l-cysteine, which is used as a dough conditioner.) In addition, regular consumption of MSG has been shown to stimulate the appetite and contribute to weight gain and obesity.
AKA: MSG goes by several aliases, such as Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Hydrolyzed Plant Protein, Vegetable Protein Extract, Yeast Extract, Glutamate, Glutamic Acid, Sodium Caseinate, Textured Protein, Soy Protein Isolates, Barley Malt, Calcium Caseinate and Malt Extract.
ITíS FOUND IN: Processed foods like salad dressings, low-fat yogurt, canned meats, frozen entrees, potato chips, canned soups
I look forward to hearing from a SparkPeople dietician!
| current weight: 152.6