My dog is the perfect walking partner because I trained her to be! (I'm a dog trainer so if you have more ?'s don't hesitate to ask.)
Here are a few tips to make it more enjoyable:
1. Get a shorter leash: 4-6' is more than adequate. (I have a 3' I use on the bike trails)
2. Give the dog the first few minutes of the walk to sniff and potty. After that, the leash shortens and your pace quickens. My dog can sniff.. she just has to sniff and walk at the same time.
3. Keep a good pace; if your dog isn't trotting along next to you then you should try a faster pace.
4. Training.. Basic and Advanced obedience training will be very beneficial. The dog will be more responsive to you. Some trainers in your area might offer a 1 or 2 session class to work specifically on leash walking.
5. Lastly, if at all possible I would walk in the morning. Dogs naturally want to wake up, stretch, walk, then eat. They will be naturally calmer during the walk if you are consistent with them and they know what's expected.
| current weight: 278.0