I am currently following a 5K race preperation training plan just to get some more running in. Prior to that, I had been running a mile 2 days a week as a warm-up. So, I'm up to 2.5 miles, although that was a bit hard. A friend of mine wanted a running buddy for a 10K in July, so I decided to just go for it. My plan is to finish this 5K training plan (I'm in week 5 of 8 weeks, I believe), then jump into a 10K training plan at the 4 or 5 week mark. I currently run 3 days a week, sometimes 4, as well as lift 3 days a week with some HIIT or walking on my lifting days.
So, background/plan out of the way, on to my questions:
1. If I prepare, a 10K should be doable by July, even if it's slow and ugly, right?
2. There is a local race on June 1 (I'm actually using a training plan put out by this race). Would it be a good idea to run the 5K there, just to get a feel for a race?
3. I run on a treadmill out of necessity. I train in the mornings while my kids are sleeping. I can get outside for my Saturday runs no problem, though, and I plan to start doing that. WIll that be enough outside time, or should I rearrange my workout schedule to try to run more in the evenings? (I am a morning workout person because I make excuses otherwise.)
4. If I do run outside, I'd like to take my dog with me because he'd love it. Will this hinder my actual progress or training?
5. I am currently doing Madcow's 5x5 program for lifting. This requires squatting three times a week, deadlifting once (everything else is upper body). That's ok to do and train for a 10K, right?
Edited by: JENMC14 at: 4/3/2013 (13:04)
I am 5'4".
Starting Weight (4.6.11) 164.6
First Goal 130 - Reached September 2011
Currently maintaining under 120 and working on changing my mental image of myself!
| current weight: 136.0