I used to find getting my minimum protein to be quite a challenge (and sometimes I still do) - I guess because "protein" items tend to be higher in calories than veg and fruit, so i'd cut my meat portions way back, increase my veg, and.... yeah. Not good enough! So I have been very conscientiously working on my protein intake, with my fallbacks being:
- Eggs - 1-2 eggs for breakfast really starts the protein count for the day out right!
- Yogurt - not as proteiny as eggs, but still, it's a good choice
- Tuna - low cal, lots of protein.
- Fish in general is good protein!
- Beans and legumes - a handful of black beans in my salad improves its nutritional profile
- Avocado - on the high-cal side, but a veg that actually has decent protein!
- Cheese - ok, high cal (especially full-fat, which is all I will eat) BUT i eat it INSTEAD of "dessert" - fruit and cheese, or wine and cheese... good choices for my end-of-day snack when I'm a little low on protein.
- FULL SIZE serving of lean meat - 6 ounces of chicken or pork or beef (maybe more!). Especially on days where my brekky/lunch protein was on the low side, I no longer skimp out on the meat at the evening meal. Instead, I trade out the carb (i.e. the potato, rice or pasta) to save calories and enable me to double up on the meat. Carbs, I get enough from the veggies....
Goal 1 - break 200 (46 pounds lost)**DONE**
Goal 2 - leave obesity behind (BMI 29.9, at 185#) **DONE**
Goal 3 - BMI = Normal (154# or less)
| current weight: 176.0