It is never very easy to motivate someone to exercise. The need to exercise needs to come from within the person. Unless your husband feels like it is important to exercise, he won’t do it. Even if he does because you are asking him to, it won’t last long until it comes from his heart.
It is obvious that you mean well and want him to have a healthy lifestyle. But consider all the things that are not so motivating right now…
1. You just moved to a new place
2. Time of the year right now which is not conducive to outside exercises
3. No gym nearby
4. Odd work hours
Now look at the positives…
1. He does not object to a clean diet – Weight loss is more to do with diet than exercise
2. He enjoyed soccer/football before – he is athletic – likes team sports
3. He goes hiking atleast in summer – he likes outdoors
So what can you do?
1. Obviously, follow a clean diet
2. Since he seems to be the athletic kind, work out dvds/mats may not be the answer. How about getting a Wii? which is more sport like movements?
3. If you can’t buy a Wii, how about more robust videos like Insanity/Turbo fire/Body Combat type videos which might appeal to the guys?
4. If he enjoys team sports and weather is bad and no gym, is there a community center nearby? They have indoor basketball classes – 8 sessions at a time. That would only be once a week – but just getting out there, playing for a day each week may motivate him to do more on other days.
5. Also, community centers have Yoga and other aerobic classes. Since you both are stressed, Yoga classes might just do the trick.
6. Is there an indoor swimming pool nearby? Swimming on some days would be a great exercise.
7. Since he likes hiking but weather prohibits it right now, how about going Mall – walking in the meantime until it is summer again. I have heard that there are several mall walkers. You might find some in your area.
8. There are kickboxing/Boxing/martial arts classes which are indoors and if you have any classes near you that can be a great exercise.
Don’t despair. There are many options out there. Talk to him that you worry about his weight gain so that you are not nagging. And also, if this weight gain seems too sudden and his health is really bothering you, you might even want to get it checked out by the doctor.
“There are three types of people in this world. Firstly, there are people who make things happen. Then there are people who watch things happen. Lastly, there are people who ask, what happened? - Steve Backley
| April Minutes: 0