What makes letterboxing such a great activity for everyone?
1) Itís free; itís nice to have an activity that you can do anytime, anywhere and for free.
2) Itís an outdoor activityÖ Though there are some boxes hidden in libraries and other public buildings which are fun for a cold or rainy day, most are hidden outside in parks, trails around town monuments, cemeteries, etc. so you can enjoy some fresh air and outdoor adventures.
*Note: Practice reading a map, following written directions (such as north, south, left, straight ahead, etc.) writing the date for log book entries and the box number or location that kind of thing, while remembering to write up a journal-style type entry of your adventure.
3) Learn something new about an area or the people who visit it. Many letterbox directions include historical anecdotes or tidbits related to the stamp. Itís also fun to look through the log books in the boxes, people write down where they are from and sometimes leave messages.
4) Accommodates all group sizes and ages (so your 5 year old will be entertained and so will your pre-teen- just look for the challenging boxes for these guys, maybe requiring compasses or clues to solve).
5) Takes up as little or as much time as you want/ need it to.
6) Its creative. (Letterboxers often design and make their own personal stamps and the stamps that they hide. You can get really fancy with coloring using brush tip markers to color in stampís prints.)
7) Its fun and there are always stories to tell afterwards.
8) Great activity for a trip to visit the grandparents! (Or if they can handle the excitement, bring them along on your adventure)
9) Grandparents take your grandchildren on an adventure
10) Its great exercise; this hobby gets you up off the couch and moving outdoors
Hope that this post got you excited about a fun hobby or at least a bit more curious about it, enough to keep on reading. Check out the SparkPeople Letterbox Team www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_individ
Edited by: STORMIE62 at: 3/11/2014 (10:31)
Live to Ride, Ride to make another healthy lifestyle change another day!
"I am not hung up on myself... I was practicing Yoga and got stuck."
" I am not always slow moving, but when I am, it is because I am practicing Tai Chi."
| current weight: 193.8