1. What all comes in the Elf on the Shelf kit?
The kit comes with the Elf on the Shelf book and an elf.
2. Would it be possible to lift the "Don't touch the elf" rule? Or is the possibility of lost magic in the story?
It's part of the story in the book.
3. Would it still work if the elf didn't show up until a week or two before Christmas?
I don't see why not. The first year we didn't have ours until about two weeks before Christmas. Now we bring Charlie (it's what the kids named him) out on December 1st.
4. Your personal opinion: Do you think it would be possible to convince a twelve-year-old that a doll is actually a magic elf?
I really doubt it. He may choose to still believe in Santa, but I would think it would be next to impossible to convince him a doll is magic at this point in his life.
My son will be 8 in February and still chooses to believe in Santa, even though he knows children who no longer believe. He also still chooses to believe Charlie is magical. Is there part of him that thinks Charlie isn't real? Perhaps. I think he's had so much fun with the whole thing over the last few years that he just doesn't want to not believe yet. But I can't imagine him still being willing to believe when he's 12, even if he's still willing to play the game for the fun of it.
5. Your personal opinion: Do you think it would be okay to get a girl elf even though my brother is a boy? (I want to keep the doll after he stops believing, and the girl elf has such a cute face!)
If you want to get it for your brother, I think you should just get it for your brother. We're probably going to get the girl elf this year for my 6 year old daughter. Both of my children love Charlie, but this way they'll each get to keep one to pass on the tradition when they're grown.
EXERCISE BECAUSE YOU LOVE YOUR BODY,
NOT BECAUSE YOU HATE IT.
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still.
When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
You are not fat.
You have fat.
You also have fingernails,
But you are not fingernails.
| current weight: 175.2