Monday, December 31, 2007
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS
Well, 2007 is coming to an end, and I've got to say, I'm not sad to see it go! A few things have happened this year that I'm really grateful for, but for the most part it has not been a happy-happy kind of year. Hmmm...nobody can change that but me, though, right? So with the new year upon us, I figure it's time for a few resolutions. I know a lot of people don't make resolutions because they know they won't keep them, but I have this problem with not being able to NOT do something that I tell a bunch of people I'm going to do, because then I'd have to admit that I've failed. Silly, and kinda pathetic, but true. So I figure if I put my resolutions out there for all to see I'll have a better chance of sticking with them, even if it's only because I'm too pompous to admit that I haven't done so. So here they are, in no particular order, and of no particular interest to anyone but me! lol
1. LOSE WEIGHT -- I know, it's always high on resolution lists, and I'm really good at losing the first few pounds, but then I lose interest, fall back into bad habits, and end up letting life become my excuse for letting it go. I'll start getting serious about the gym again after I get settled in at my new job...I'll start getting serious again after these piercings heal up...I'll start going to the gym more once Leeh gets home from deployment...I'll start watching my weight more after we get back into a normal routine now that Leeh's home...after the holidays, after my shift change, it's always after something! There's always a reason to put it off, but I need to focus on the reasons to do it now! I've given up a few MAJOR vices this year, so 2008 is the year to focus on adding GOOD habits--I want to get back to doing yoga at least twice a week, I feel so much stronger and more centered when I'm doing yoga regularly. I want to get some cardio in at least 5 days a week, and strength training at least twice weekly. I want to find a gym buddy, because mine moved away and I find it a lot harder to make myself go to the gym without her. The thing is, I like working out! I feel a million times better when I'm working out regularly, and I enjoy it while I'm doing it...it's just that I'm so damn LAZY sometimes, that even though I know I'll be happy I've done it, I still can't get my fat ass off the couch and go! That's going to change, though! So mote it be!
2. Get more in touch with my spiritual beliefs -- I'm pretty vocal about the things I DON'T believe, but I have a much harder time expressing what I DO believe. And why is that? Because I just don't know! So 2008 is going to be a year of exploration, research, and reflection. I'm not going to go into this one much, because I feel that "religion" (for lack of a better word) is an intensely personal thing. I just know that I have a lot of searching to do in this area, and I feel like now is the right time for me to do it.
3. WRITE -- Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to read. What a lot of people don't know, though, is that I've always wanted to write, as well. Having a book published has always been one of those things I've said I wanted to do before I die, but I'm finally realizing that if I don't start DOING the things on that list, they'll never get done! LOL Sounds self-evident, right? But ask yourself to list 5 things you want to do before you die, and then ask youself how much closer you are to doing them now than you were a year ago? Mmm-hmm, that's what I thought! Don't shake that finger at me if you're not making your "to do" list happen either! LOL Okay, I know I'm not writing YOUR resolutions, so I'll get back on task now! LOL Anyway, I've finally realized that I'll never get a book published if I don't actually WRITE one, so I resolve to put aside some time for writing--even if it's only an hour a week--in the new year.
4. Become more organized and NEATER! -- Anyone who has ever been to my home can attest to the fact that I'm not a neat-freak...and to the fact that "not a neat-freak" is a HUGE understatement! LOL I don't mind the house looking "lived in". I don't need the remotes to be perpendicular to the tv when not in use, the towels to all be folded to precisely the same measurements, or the all of the socks in the house to be pinned with their partners and placed carefully in their properly-labeled drawer space. What I do need is to be able to find my checkbook when it's time to pay the bills, my glasses when my eyes are feeling a little foggy, and my dog when he's crying for my attention. Yep. We need to work on the clutter around here...losing a 120lb Rottweiler in a mountain of laundry is a sad, sad tale to tell! LOL (No, this has not actually happened, and yes, I feel the need to clarify that for the people who have actually SEEN my mountain of laundry! LOL)
5. College -- I'm starting with one class in January. I WILL make time to do my work to the best of my ability, not put it off until the last minute and then turn in a half-assed project like I've done so many times in the past. I am a grown woman, I'm going to school because I WANT to, not because somebody else has mandated it, and I will not waste my money or insult my teacher by doing the absolute minimum I have to do to get by. I will do my best to decide a path for my education. This does not have to be a final plan, there is nothing stopping me from changing my mind if I truly want to go another direction, but until that time, I need something to focus on! I don't have to know what I want to be when I grow up, but I need to figure out what will make me happy for now and work towards that!
6. Hobbies -- Okay, so I've been told that I collect hobbies like some women collect shoes, but I'm okay with that! How will I ever know if I would love doing certain things if I never do them? This year I want to crochet at least one blanket...knit something, even if it's only a dish rag...attempt woodcarving...learn some basic sign language (not sure if that really qualifies as a hobby, but I want to do it anyway!)...continue to improve my cakes...make time to take pictures of all the beautiful and interesting things around me...set aside time to scrapbook every week (it may seem cheesy, but I really LOVE doing it!)...sew at least one quilt...sew a costume for the Renaissance Festival...and attempt at least two other hobbies that aren't currenly on this list! :)
7. Travel -- I want to visit at least two places this year that I've never been before. Even if we can't go on a full-blown vacation, we can still make the most of a couple of long weekends. I've never seen Niagara Falls, and I really want to! That makes me sad! lol I'm going to remedy that this year, and see at least one other new place! And I'm going to take TONS of pictures of those places and take the time to scrapbook those pictures! ;-)
8. Work on being less judgemental and less of a control freak -- This isn't at the bottom of my list because I think it's less important than the others, by any means, and it's definitely not an afterthought. The fact of the matter is, I know this one won't be accomplished this year. Oh, I will do my best, I'll try to be more conscious of my behavior, but I've got a lot of work to do here! It's going to take a lot of thought on my part, a lot of cognizant effort, and I'm sure I will have many, many setbacks! I'm going to try to follow two basic lines of reasoning here. One is a quote I read today that I really enjoyed... "Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?" by Sai Baba. The other is, did my Mother raise me to act this way? I have an amazing Mom who tried to instill good values in my Brother and I, am I behaving every day in a manner she would be proud of? Like I said, I'm going to work on it. And when you catch me being a bitch, please refer me back to this blog! LOL
9. Keep in touch more -- I have been HORRIBLE this year at keeping in touch with people. I tell myself every day that I need to write to this person, email that person, leave a myspace message for another person...and then I sit down to watch Scrubs and forget all about my good intentions for yet another day! I really am sorry that I've been so bad about this, and please, feel free to nag me on this subject! If I haven't replied to you, don't let me off the hook! Send me another message, and another, and another, even if they just say "?", to remind me that I'm slacking! I want to set aside 10 minutes every day to write to a friend. It doesn't take a lot of time, it just takes me DOING IT! Again, lazy girl here! I'm sorry, and I'll try! Ten minutes a day! I can do it!!!
10. Not wait until the new year to make resolutions!!! -- Okay, from now on, I need to start saying "FROM NOW ON!!!" I need to stop putting everything off until a more convenient time, stop procrastinating, stop saying I'll do this when...blah blah blah! Life is short, do it now, when I notice that things need to change, I NEED TO CHANGE THEM!
Okay, I'm feeling determined. I'm feeling strong, and resolved, and like I can do these things....I'll start as soon as....
Just kidding! I'm starting now! Honest!!!