Tuesday, December 04, 2007
As requested, here are some of the strategies that helped me eat out six times last Fri-Sat-Sun without gaining any weight. (I weighed myself this morning & again I'm the same.)
1. If one meal is a bit hefty, keep the other one small. Examples:
(a) Lunch of Chicago-style barbecue (baby back ribs), with green beans as my side dish instead of potatoes. I ate a couple of pieces of bread & (just a little) butter too. That evening I had just a bowl of soup at a little Thai restaurant--it was exquisite & perfectly satisfying.
(b) Lunch of two slices of spinach/mushroom deep-dish pizza, with some salad & a beer. Supper that night was a Mediterranean hummus-feta cheese appetizer plate & a beer. The hummus was too dry & the other spread wasn't very interesting, so I ended up eating less than half of that dish.
(c) Lunch of grilled chicken sandwich, steamed veggies, & an orange. That day's supper of Ethiopian food was mostly vegetables & lentils, but we scooped them up with soft injera bread--no fork or spoon--which provides a kind of primal satisfaction (& fun).
2. Mustard instead of mayo on one's sandwich! SP mentions this in a couple of articles I have read, but my taste had already made the switch years ago.
3. I also added a little green Tabasco sauce to my grilled chicken--I love spicy food. If your stomach allows you to eat spicy food, it's a blessing, because hot spices stimulate endorphins & you feel satisfied with less.
4. Light dressing or vinaigrette, & always on the side so I can use just a small amount.
5. Water as the beverage of choice, with one glass of beer or wine on occasion. No soft drinks.
6. As noted above, veggies or fruit as the side dish instead of potatoes or rice. If others order potatoes or fries, you can take a few bites of theirs!