Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

    RAINEMARIE214   41,923
40,000-49,999 SparkPoints

exciting updates!

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Hello all! I am back from a 2 week trip to NJ. It was much-needed, but not as relaxing as I had hoped! But lots of stuff happened anyway that I will recap :)

Tuesday, July 22 I flew from Denver to NJ. No flight delays so that was exciting! My brother picked me up at the airport and drove me to my parents' house (where he also lives) and I was so excited to see my dog! It had been about 3 months since I had seen my little Buffy girl! I went and picked up my rental car - I got a great deal on a rental car for 2 weeks simply by getting the rental car at a location other than the airport!

On Wednesday morning I had a job interview at the prosecutor's office in the county that I am from and it was AMAZING! I felt incredibly comfortable with everyone I met with (5 people total) and really liked the environment and everyone I met in the office. I thought the interview went really well, and at the end they invited me to come in again the following Monday for a final interview with the chief prosecutor for the county.

On Thursday morning I had a job interview with the public defender's office for the state of NJ. Although they have offices in every county, their central HQ office does the hiring, so I had to go to Trenton for that. I felt very uncomfortable during the interview and really walked away hoping they wouldnt offer me a job because I didnt think I would want to work there - which was weird because initially I had really wanted to work there. Go figure!

On Thursday night my mom came home from work sick, so she stayed home on Friday and I ran her errands for her. The public defender's office did end up calling and presenting the option to work in a county that I absolutely did not want to work in. They wanted me to go down to that office and interview with the person in charge of the office, and if that went well they would offer me a job working there. I decided to wait until the following week because I was really hoping the prosecutor's office would offer me a job. Later that day I visited my friends from home who had just had a baby in May - I had made them two baby quilts and mailed them last month but this was my first opportunity to meet the little girl and she was precious! I was so happy to see them!

On Saturday I got up and went for a run around 6am - I had to do 10 miles according to my training plan, but I ended up cutting it short at 9.39 because I was having terrible stomach problems. I felt sick the rest of the morning and really didnt want to do anything. I did eventually drive up to Hoboken later that night and had dinner with my law school BFF. It was great to catch up with her!

On Sunday my mom and I went to look at beds because my parents said they would buy a full size bed for my bedroom when I temporarily move back in with them since my furniture will be in storage, and currently the bed in that room is a twin and is awful to sleep on. My mom ended up buying a queen size bed instead, because the price was right and they gave it to us for the full-size price. I have to buy all of the bedding/pillows for it though, but thats not a problem. It's being delivered later this week. I also cooked dinner for the family on Sunday and made reese's peanut butter cup chocolate cupcakes. So delicious - with peanut butter buttercream frosting!

On Monday I went to my final interview at the prosecutor's office. It was short but went really well! When I left he told me not to take the public defender position, so I thought that was a really good sign. He said the office was having a meeting on Wednesday to discuss budget where they would also discuss my salary, and so I should hear back from them by the end of the week. After the interview I stopped and got lunch, ate, packed a bag, and then drove to Philadelphia. I was staying in the heart of Philadelphia right near the Pennsylvania Convention Center at the Courtyard Marriot. The hotel was really nice but driving to Philly was so not fun! Once I got checked in at my hotel room, I did some reviewing of the materials on the bar exam that I felt uncomfortable with, like partnerships and corporations. I finally checked some voice mails from the past week that I had refused to check because I was on leave. They were all work and I was really pissed off that people in the military are so inconsiderate of our leave time. Anyway, then I wandered around looking for food and got a salad for dinner, which I brought back to my room. I tried to go to sleep early, but I was feeling stressed about work and the exam. Ugh.

Tuesday I was up and headed over to the convention center early because I had forgot to bring my admission ticket with me (I left it in Colorado) and I had to get a replacement. That ended up being not as big of an issue as I thought it would be, thankfully. The first day of the exam was the state portion - all essays. I felt good about the morning session, but not so good about the afternoon. Especially because the last of the essays was on corporations! I know so little about corporations that I couldnt even make it up. Well, I did make it up but it was laughable :( So I felt really down about myself afterwards. And then of course when I checked my phone walking back to the hotel I had more work stress. :( Needless to say I didnt sleep well Tuesday night.

Wednesday before the exam I checked out of my hotel and dropped my bag off in my rental car before walking over to the convention center. Wednesday was the multi-state portion and all multiple choice. Again the morning session I felt really good about but the afternoon session was really hard! I know I did the best that I could. I studied a lot but I still walked away from the exam feeling like I didnt study enough. I checked my phone afterwards and had more work drama and then I had a message from the prosecutor's office so I called back and they offered me a job!! I accepted it! It is a conditional offer - I have to pass the background investigation, drug test, and medical physical, but I am not worried. I am so excited! Then I drove back to NJ and celebrated with my parents by going out for ice cream :)

On Thursday I drove down to Maryland, first stopping at a mall to get a bathing suit. Then I hit lots of traffic and instead of tkaing 3.5 hours, it took me 5.5 hours :( But I eventually made it for my girls' weekend with my college friends, who I havent seen in SIX years! One of my friends has a family friend with a vacation house near Ocean City so we stayed there for free. There was no internet and cell reception was horrible so I felt relieved I could leave work drama behind, though I did get some of it while at the beach when receptionwas better. Overall, the weekend was really good - it was great to catch up with my friends after so long and they are excited that I am moving back to NJ and will get to see them more often!

Thursday night we just grilled at the house for dinner and then played games all night. On Friday we went to the Ocean City Boardwalk and my one friend ran 5 miles with me. I ran at her pace, which is slower than mine, but it was an enjoyable run and gave us a chance to catch up. After getting back to the houe, eating, and showering, we headed to the beach. It was overcast, and rained a little bit, but we enjoyed our time on the beach, and even took a nice long walk on the sound. For dinner we went to a crab house and my 3 friends ate all you can eat steamed crabs. I had crab cakes and ate significantly less because I was worried about my long run in the morning.

On Saturday morning it was raining, but not too heavy, so I set out to do my 12 mile long run. I am not a fan of running in the rain, but the temperatures werent cold or anything so it wasnt that bad. I did all 12 miles and it was really enjoyable. Nice change of scenery, and of course running at sea-level is much nicer than running in Colorado :) My friends were impressed that I actually did the long run in the rain! It was rainy most of the day so we were really lazy during the day. After showering and eating breakfast, I lounged on my bed reading a book most of the afternoon, two of my friends watched dvds on a laptop, and the last friend took a nap. We did eventually go out and my friends got pedicures but I had blisters all over my toes from running in the rain with wet socks and sneakers so I was not up for pedicures. I wandered the grocery store haha. Then we went to a late lunch (what I thought was an early dinner) at a mexican restaurant. and then back to the house to continue being lazy. I finished reading my book :) Randomly at like 9pm two of my friends decided to cook dinner so I felt obligated to eat even though I was exhausted!

On Sunday morning one of my friends and I left around 9am. She lives in Chicago and needed a ride to the Atlantic City airport. I wanted to leave early to miss the shore traffic once I got back into NJ. It ended up taking about 6.5 hours to get home in total. Long day of driving. My brother made my favorite spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and I relaxed the rest of the night with my mom and the dogs.

And then yesterday I flew back to Colorado in the evening. By the time I got back to my house it was after midnight. Needless to say, I am at work today and exhausted! I have so many things that I am feeling overwhelmed about since I only have 56 days left in Colorado! I hope it goes by fast, but I also hope I get everything done that I need to get done!

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
SUGIRL06 8/12/2014 11:17AM

    You were in my hometown and I was not! LoL. Congrats on the getting the job you wanted! WOOHOO!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
CRYSBROWN1 8/6/2014 1:42PM

    Congratulations on your new job and your upcoming relocation!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CARADAWN 8/6/2014 11:00AM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon Great job on your job hunt! I am sure you are happy to have that uncertainty taken care of so your transition home will be that much easier. Less than 2 months and you get to move back home!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CHEMCHIC2006 8/6/2014 10:12AM

    Congrats on getting the job! I'm excited you drove through MD :) Did you drive down the Eastern Shore side by Deleware? Or did you drive 95 through Baltimore? Wish I could go to the ocean.. not in the time/money budget this year. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing time. Wishing the best for your exam results!

Report Inappropriate Comment
EDENZMOM 8/6/2014 10:01AM

    I'm so happy for you!! the job sounds incredible, and the weekend with friends sounds great.
You must be so thrilled. Only more great things ahead for you girl! all the best, enjoy your last few weeks! xo

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARINEMAMA 8/6/2014 6:59AM

    emoticon on the job! Sounds like a great vacation!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SLEEPYDEAN 8/5/2014 6:20PM

    Congrats on the job offer! I can't wait until you get all settled in in your new situation and you can be happy and less stressed (hopefully).

Report Inappropriate Comment
IFDEEVARUNS2 8/5/2014 2:36PM

    Congrats on the new job!

Report Inappropriate Comment
WORTHEYMOM 8/5/2014 2:32PM

    Congrats my dear! Sounds like you had a great time despite all the things you had to do! so excited for you!

Report Inappropriate Comment

    Sounds like a busy and productive vacation! Super Congrats on the new job!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
GRACEOMALLEY 8/5/2014 1:23PM

    Congratulations on the job with the prosecutor's office in NJ. I'm sure all went well enough on the BAR exam. Breathe deeply now and smell the roses and the coffee!

Report Inappropriate Comment
NATPLUMMER 8/5/2014 12:37PM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.

Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

Other Entries by RAINEMARIE214