Tuesday, August 05, 2014
Full confession: I've not been feeling the healthy eating or the fitness so much lately. I've been doing it, but it's been lackadaisical with too many allowances here and there. I've been rounding down instead of up on my food tracking, dialing in workouts, skipping workouts, etc. Some of the missed workouts have been due to factors beyond my control, but plenty of it was. Some of it has been the blahs. While many of you are enjoying the outdoor time, this is the worst time of the year to get outdoors in my neck of the woods. Hot and humid with feels like temps well into the 100s everyday. Even getting up before dawn to run hasn't helped that much.
And now I'm 2lbs over goal.
Now, mind you, that is still within my range, and I'm not unhappy with that, but it is an upward trend that I need to nip in the bud.
So I've been giving myself a hard look the last couple of days and have come up with some areas that I need to improve:
1. I've been relying a lot on some convenience foods to feed the guy with and have been having more processed foods. I don't eat "clean" 100% nor do I try to, but I do try to limit processed foods, so I'm going to work on cutting those down. I may just need to add an extra meal into my weekend cooking. I've also added more processed snack items, so I'll be phasing those out.
2. I've been skipping the gym. Yes, I have still been doing ST, but it's been at home with my limited equipment, so I'm "dialing it in" and not challenging myself if I do it at home. Once I move in the the guy and have access to his equipment, it'll be different, but in the meantime, I need to get my hiney to the gym.
3. My runs haven't been as challenging nor consistent. Trips and the heat have played a role here, but I need to step up my game. I didn't run outside this morning as the guy is nursing a muscle pull, and there was a theft and some other things in the surrounding area lately that makes him worry if I run alone, so I'll hit my treadmill tonight with some intervals, I think. I need to be putting in two shorter weekday runs and one longer run per week if I want to do 2 HM this season.
4. I've been baking too much. And I like to eat it. Enough said. Rare treats instead of the norm.
5. I've not been as consistent or as loyal with my tracking as I should be. I can't expect results that way, so it's time to clean it up.
To be honest, while my weight is about the same as it was at the beginning of the year, I'm just not feeling as fit. It may not be true, necessarily (I can run longer, farther and faster and lift heavier than I could Jan. 1, 2014), but I feel that way. And that's the problem. If I'm not feeling as fit, it hurts my commitment which makes me slack off which makes me feel not fit. It's a cycle that can spiral into gains and getting out of range, but I refuse to let that happen. Time to take control and make better choices.