Thursday, July 03, 2014
The sunflower seed 'cheese' I made yesterday wasn't a success. I am getting back into more raw food by trying some recipes I haven't done before. I've made some lovely sunflower seeds pates - so I know roughly how to put this kind of thing together. But I chose to try a different recipe, different book, and followed it to the letter - the result was too salty (tamari) and too sour (lemon).
So - what to do? I cannot waste all those ingredients (3 cups sunflower seeds, .5 cup each of tamari and lemon juice) - so I have divided it up and frozed 2/3 of it - and am working on the current 1/3.
For today's use, I took a portion of it and added in some chopped celery, spring onion, herbs, some paprika, and about a teaspoon of olive oil. It's still too salty and too sour - but it's usable!
The rest of the mixture I shall use in small amounts - diluted with more ingredients (lots of veggies and a maybe some flaxseeds and almonds.
(PS - and, of course, I made some notes on the recipe so I don't make the same mistake again!)
(PPS - I had some of this in today's lunch-box; sandwiched in Ryvita and it was fine - really nice actually!)