Monday, June 09, 2014
I cannot believe I've gone this long without blogging! Crazy!
What has been going on? A couple of things:
1. I am lucky that LA Fitness allows their members to put a "freeze" on their accounts, which means they only charge $10 a month instead of my usual $30. I can't use the gym but I save money and don't lose my membership entirely. When the weather is gorgeous, I'd much rather do my exercise outside!
2. Exercise outside! That's happening! A lot of dog walking and hiking and such. The weather has been pretty cooperative.
3. I've been enjoying my Spark Tracker. Is it perfect? No. But I'm learning the tips and tricks that make it better. My main problem with it (and this is completely my personality flaw) is that I tend to feel bad if I don't meet my daily goals. Which is stupid because I'm totally kicking my goals on average so if I have a "bad" day, I should just consider it a rest day and move on.
4. Another reason I froze my gym membership is my surgery has been scheduled for July 3rd. This will - fingers crossed - be the final surgery where they take out my expanders and put in the permanent implants. I'm pretty excited about it. Not the surgery, just the getting it over with. By the time I'm done with this, it will have been over a year. A really long year. I am grateful, for sure, that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it's still been a struggle.
5. Lots of fun stuff planned for the summer. This past weekend we attended a friends retirement party and went to the Grand Rapids Festival of the Arts with my Besties to see a friend of ours play in his band. It was a great weekend and we have more fun activities planned for the rest of the month.
Overall, my activity is up and I'm eating pretty healthy. I just can't seem to control the *amount* of food I'm putting in my face. The more I exercise, the more I feel like I deserve to eat more - or the more I'm faced with actual *hunger*. I've had a couple of times where I've let myself get overly hungry - to the point of feeling ill - and then I tend to really over indulge. I'm trying to work on planning for these things, but it's been difficult.
The pending surgery is frustrating, too Because I know whatever routine I get into is just going down the tubes while I recover and I will have to get into a new routine all over again. (Excuse? Sure. But true, nonetheless.)
I have therefore shifted my focus (yet again) for the next couple of months from weight to health and fitness. Because I'd rather be healthy and fat, than thin and sick.
I still hate all this flab around my waist, though. I'm not giving up the war; just this fight.