Wednesday, May 07, 2014
I found this talk on the 7 steps to developing good habits on www.youtube.com. I now don't remember who the presenter was, but I found value in it.
1. Make a decision: Decide clearly that you are going to act in a specific way, 100% of the time, whenever that behavior is required.
2. Never allow an exception to your new habit pattern during the formative stages. Don't make excuses or rationalizations. Don't let yourself off the hook.
3. Tell others that you are going to begin practicing a particular behavior.
4. Visualize yourself behaving in a particular way in a particular situation- the more you do this, the better the results.
5. Create an affirmation that you repeat over and over to yourself. This repetition of a command to your subconscious mind dramatically increases the speed of integrating the habit. Say it before you go to sleep as well.
6. Resolve to persist in the new behavior until it feels uncomfortable not to do it.
7. Give yourself a reward of some kind for practicing the new behavior. The pleasure of the reward becomes part of the habit.