Wednesday, May 07, 2014
Here's another list of helpful steps to creating new habits that I found on www.youtube.com:
1. Planning: Pre-planning to prepare yourself for the new habit. Break the habit down into small pieces
2. Keep the practice of the habit to 5 minutes in the first 2 weeks
3. Set up a trigger, a habit you already have, attach the new habit to something completely automatic, like brushing your teeth.
4. Announce your habit to the world... for accountability
5. Have a reward system so that when the habit starts to get tedious, immediately following that habit, you get the reward
6. Set up a back-up plan in case something happens to interrupt your habit... how you will do it when you are sick or travelling.
I found that setting up a trigger was very helpful to me, so now, after I brush my teeth, I go in the living room and do my 10 minutes of strength training. I think a back-up plan would be very useful too.