Saturday, May 03, 2014
In the spirit of David Letterman, I'll provide a top ten list for why I like the oatmeal diet: two meals a day are totally oatmeal. I use the steel-cut kind, which take about 30 minutes to cook.
1. You can make a large amount and microwave them for individual meals.
2. Oats are very very low on the gylcemic index.
3. This kind of hot cereal is filling and has a fairly quick satiety point---in other words, I don't feel as if I am still starving when I am done eating.
4. Inexpensive! I've saved quite a bit of money in just 6 days.
5. Steel-cut oats does not give me blood sugar spikes the way that other carbs do.
6. Oatmeal is high in soluble fiber.
7. If you are avoiding gluten (which I am not) it is gluten-free.
8. It is monotonous but the monotony paradoxically does not inspire cravings.
9. It's rumoured to be good for cholesterol.
10. I've measured my blood sugar and I don't need to take any extra insulin either before or after eating oatmeal.
So that's good enough for me. It may be unadventurous fare, but I've rarely struggled with cravings in the past 6 days.