I joined a gym. What was I thinking?
Saturday, May 03, 2014
I tend to be frugal. Spending money to exercise when there are so many free fitness opportunities has never seemed like a good use of money to me. Why pay to exercise when I live close to a park with running and walking trails? Why pay to exercise at a place that is a 6 mile drive when I can walk to the park?
Well, there are several reasons that I joined 9 Round.
1. I've heard good things about circuit type fitness programs such as 9 Round and Curves. I've read about results. Some exercise programs just seem gimmicky, but not 9 Round.
2. There is always a coach/trainer supervising the workout. I have worked out at the fitness center at work, but occasionally I wish I could ask someone knowledgeable about whether I am doing things right.
3. The workout is fast paced. I like the fact that it is finished in 30 minutes. I enjoyed my tae kwon do classes, but the classes took an hour if they didn't run over. The opening and ending ceremony took time. The instruction took time. I learned a lot, but the focus was on defense skills. There was some time that qualified as cardio conditioning or strength training, but cardio or strength training was not the main focus of the tkd class. When I trained in the gym at work, my workouts took longer also. I'd ride the bike for 20-30 minutes then do strength training. My 9 Round sessions take much less total time than either of my other types of training. Yes, 9 Round costs more than the free gym at work, but it is more fun. 9 Round costs less than my TKD training.
4. The cardio monitor helps me keep my workout at the right intensity. I can look at the screen in the gym and not have to try to see the little display on my heart monitor.
5. The workout is different every time. Some things are similar, but since things are always changing the workout is more efficient.
6. The free gym and the free park weren't actually helping me. I didn't use them as I should have. So if I pay for gym membership and I use it to make sure I'm getting my money's worth, then it is a good investment.
7. My 17 year old daughter has wanted to join this gym for a long time. By joining with her, I get to spend some time with her. She'll be graduating high school and going away to college soon. Her schedule is busy. This will be one time we can spend time together.
8. I had the money to join. I plan to workout to get my money's worth.
I've been a member for 2 weeks. I've done 6 workouts. No weight loss yet, but I'm feeling better.