Friday, April 25, 2014
I have finished up 2 weeks on Jenny Craig and got my second shipment of food today. I thought I would record for posterity (and my own future reference if I decide to order food again) what I have liked and hated.
I haven't tried everything yet by a long shot, but so far I have several that I really like and one complete clunker. I find this encouraging. Here is the run down.
(Caveat - I don't generally like frozen food, particularly frozen meat. Your mileage may vary.)
I don't eat JC breakfast so I have no comment. I may buy some of their breakfast dishes for lunches in the future though.
+ pasta ole - vegetarian mix of beans, corn, cheese in a red sauce
+ Broccoli and cheese potato - the broccoli and cheese are pureed into a smooth and creamy topping.
+ Southwest style chicken
+ Stuffed Shells - vegetarian and tasty
- Beef Chow Mein - flavor was ok but beef had a funny texture, couldn't eat it all.
- Pizza - Who doesn't want to like pizza? This was just ok. The crust got really dry in the microwave. I will try again many many times. Do to a shortage of other food, they sent me 4 in this shipment!
x Chicken and corn chowder - the broth had the consistency and taste of paint
x Turkey burger - I wanted to like it, but the texture was too weird and the flavor was off.
+ Chicken fajitas - easily my favorite. You get frozen chicken and peppers and cook yourself in a frying pan. Add a sauce mix and defrost your tortillas and YUM. I could have these a lot and wonder if they sell them at the regular grocery store.
+ Turkey chili - spicy!
+ Macaroni and Cheese - saucy and tasty
- Mesquite chicken - good flavor, but funny texture
- Sesame chicken - Same as above
- Chicken fettuccine - I liked the pasta, but the chicken tasted funny
- Rising crust pizza (different than lunch pizza) - this has meatless crumbles on it and I really don't like them. I picked them off and the rest was better. You make it in the oven.
x Tandoori Chicken - this was the biggest flop of the week. I took 2 bites and threw the rest away. I like indian food (a lot) and this was not indian food.
x Traditional lasagna - This had a good flavor but had a layer of the meatless crumbles deep in the lasagna (too deep to pick off).
I haven't tried many of their snacks. I don't want to get in the habit of having a sweet every night. I won't be buying them in the future unless I want a rare treat.
Difference between JC and other frozen food:
There isn't much sodium in this food (my sodium levels have been less than the recommended daily allowance.) The food is definitely less salty than other frozen food. I like it.