Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

    MAMMABEAR-THIRY   82,375
80,000-99,999 SparkPoints


Friday, February 21, 2014

My daughter and I made a couple college visits on 1/29/14. I got really short of breath walking across campus that morning. I wasn’t bad at the afternoon visit. The next day I really didn’t feel well and only worked a couple hours before heading home to bed. On Friday I worked about 5-6 hours before heading home. On Saturday I went to the clinic and saw the doctor. I was given an antibiotic which I started taking right away. On Monday I didn’t go to work as I still wasn’t feeling well. Tuesday Morning 2/4/14my husband called the pastor to come help get me to the car as I was so weak I could hardly walk. He took me straight to the ER department. I was evaluated and admitted to the ICUyet that day. After a day of trying to work through the whole situation I wasn’t getting any better. At this point they decided to put in a catheter so I wouldn’t have to spend the energy getting up for the bathroom. This is the last that I remember until last Saturday 2/15/14. From what I understand I was put on a ventilator and my kids were all called home. My daughter came in from Charleston, SC as well as my son at Ft Bliss, TX was brought home due to my being in such bad shape. I have been told by my family that they were told that I was only given a 40% chance of making it through the whole ordeal and that my lungs were e 80% full. All I remember is from last Saturday to today. I guess I came down with viral pneumonia. I have been told by several of the nurses over the last week that I have made great strides since waking up a getting off the ventilator a week ago. On Monday I was moved from the ICU to the”Stepdown” unit, yesterday I was moved from the “Stepdown” to general surgery. This afternoon I was moved to the acute rehabilitation unit for for occupational, physical therapy and speech therapy. I am currently on 3 liters of oxygen to help with my breathing and am lucky to be able to walk 25 ft without getting winded While in rehab I will get 2-3 hours of therapy a day 1=2 weeks

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
NOLAZYBUTT110 3/1/2014 1:14PM

    Glad to hear your okay, well at least breathing better..... and G*d was not ready to take you home; your mission here is not completed! Do tell us of your recovery... and dont over do it just because yo feel better and can breath better. it takes the body a long time to recover FULLy from Pneumonia! (been there), and your susceptibility.... hopefully you dont end up on oxygen or have to use a Cpac machine at night to be able to sleep! Do get the rest you need to get back to your life. Its good your doing better! Prayers with you, Hugs susana

Report Inappropriate Comment
MAMMABEAR-THIRY 2/24/2014 4:13PM

    Thank you to all of you for the thoughts, prayers and healing wishes. Due to the amount of energy it still takes to even type I am not going to take the time to respond to each of you individually. I hope that you all don't mind. I had my second day of therapy (3 hours /day). The occupational and physical therapy girls that I am working with all all impressed with the improvement from Saturday. I am still restricted to having help every time I go to the bathroom but that is fine as I don't want to take any chances on any setbacks. I have been taken from 3 liters of oxygen (at rest to 2 liters) they are still leaving it at 3 during activities as my oxygen levels are still dropping some during exercise but not as bad as it was. Hopefully if things keep improving I can at lease be home in the next week. I think it will be a little longer before being able to go back to work and possibly drive myself yet but that will all come with time.

Again thank you for all the prayers as I know they are helping with the healing process. I will try to keep you all updated as my energy permits emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

    Wow! I just graduated from nursing school and can truly appreciate what is going on with your body. So sorry you are having to endure this. Yet also thankful you are alive! Keep doing what the doctors/nurses tell you to do (deep breathing, Incentive spiromitor, turning/walking, antibiotics, etc). I will pray for your complete healing.

Report Inappropriate Comment
1CRAZYDOG 2/22/2014 12:11PM

    OMG! You are a walking, breathing miracle, my dear! So sorry you're going thru this (your family too!), but sending prayers, hugs and healing vibes.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MRS_TOAD 2/22/2014 9:19AM

    emoticon My thoughts and prayers are with you and the entire family.

Report Inappropriate Comment
FITMARY 2/22/2014 4:38AM

    This is a second chance and what a blessing in disguise. You have the mental strength you need. Keep going and

Report Inappropriate Comment
AUNTHELEN 2/22/2014 2:34AM

    Wow!! Glad you are on the road to recovery! Someone was watching over you! Get well soon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
GRAMMYEAC 2/22/2014 12:40AM

    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please take care and find yourself on the road to recovery!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SALAM4545 2/21/2014 11:26PM

    OMG How frightening! I'm sending healing thoughts to you and and your family (they must have been so anxious). I hope you feel better soon. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.

Other Entries by MAMMABEAR-THIRY