Monday, February 17, 2014
This past week was much better than I had thought: down 3.6 lbs at my weigh in today! WOO HOO!!! When I weighed in last week, I noticed that my scale was being wonky. It gave me a different number each of the 5 times I stepped on it. Grrrr. It's one of those fancy ones that tell you body fat, muscle %, etc. So I broke out my old trust one that stuck with me on my initial Spark journey (it's boring. No bells and whistles), and stepped on it: FIVE POUNDS MORE THAN FANCY SCALE! Double-checked with my hand weights and confirmed that Fancy Scale is indeed about 5lbs off. I gained more weight than I had initially thought........Momentary freak out. Totally bummed.
I had to have a serious pep talk with myself to remind me that the number means nothing more than my relationship with gravity. It did explain why my clothes felt so tight even though I'd only gained a couple pounds (or so I thought! No wonder!!). In the end, I reminded myself, it wasn't how many pounds I'd gained or lost, it was about how I was feeling and how many healthy things I'd been doing over the last few weeks.
With my big scale disappointment behind me, I had to focus on the week ahead. It was Valentines Day week, our team meeting week - I knew that I would face many challenges, and here's how I made it work, plus the celebrations I had along the way:
1. Sticking to at least one Green Monster smoothie each day. It gives me about 4 servings of fruits/veggies each day (along with lots of protein and other good stuff) and really does help curb my sugar cravings. I figure that even if the rest of my day goes to hell, I've at least got that under my belt. My skin is literally glowing since starting them, I heard it would, but I didn't believe it.
2. Double workout Mondays!! Monday is my day off, so I can get in a shorter workout in the AM, along with my regular PM workout, and BOOM - an extra cardio session happens! It also helps in case something comes up during the week and I miss a workout.
3. For the first time EVER, I brought my own lunch to our team meeting (I provide pizza for everybody). Being the leader of the meeting helps, because I really don't have a chance to eat with the rest of them, so I can easily bypass that pizza! It felt really good.
4. We did end up getting heart-shaped pizza for Valentines Day, which I enjoyed guilt-free. I had my two pieces, and my two glasses of wine and stopped. I did have a couple pieces of chocolate from the hubs, but then I put the rest away. I may have gone just a bit over my calories for the day, but it was a holiday (not a holi-week!) and I had planned for it, and stuck to reasonable portions. Normally I would have thrown out all my healthy intentions, ate half the pizza and a bottle of wine, and finished all my candy in one night so I wouldn't have to be tempted to have it on later days. VICTORY OVER VALENTINES DAY! That never happens!
5. I was able to fit back into my jeans and favorite work pants that have felt a bit muffin top-a-licious the past two months. They'll be more comfortable as I continue to drop pounds, but at least I can wear them again, even if's not perfect.
Despite what I thought were barriers to success, I still made it work and saw a loss for the week! GO ME!