- Flossing & Retainer: Well, I flossed a couple of times, so this category wasn’t a complete bust.
- Spark goals. I made it to 10 months of 500 minutes per month! I don’t think I could have done that without support from my SparkFriends and hubby. And that strange situation where I was awarded a 500 monthly minutes award for January when I had not actually earned it yet. I took it as a sign that I *would* get the minutes in. So January was cutting it close. I’d like to do better in February. I’m just at a 2 week streak for 90 minutes per week. The cold weather makes motivation hard!
- Fruits & Veggies. January was okay. I try to add frozen veggies to meals pretty frequently, and I also try to open a can a fruit for dinners. I know that canned fruit isn’t the best. But I’m practicing a good habit of thinking about fruit, and I never buy fruit in syrup. This last summer, I got much better at eating fresh fruit from the Farmer’s Market, and canned really isn’t as good. I’m proud of myself with fruits and veggies because my husband isn’t into them at all, but I still make sure we eat some, even when he’s cooking I’ll say, “What vegetable are we having? Maybe some fruit too?”
- Fats. I had a small relapse on boxed snacks (trans fats!) during the week of my uncle’s death. Lots of poptarts and cookies. I’ve since put a stop to that! So other than that lapse, I’m still doing good at avoiding boxed snack foods. I haven’t been baking at all really, so I haven’t been using flax seed in January.
- Carbs. I’m sticking to whole grains and just last week I read an article about sugar. Apparently women are only supposed to have 6 tsp of sugar per day! It seems there are approximately 4g in 1tsp, so that means about 24g. I’m going to start really paying attention to the sugars on nutrition labels. I admit I’ve eaten a good bit of ice cream in January. For several months I’ve been good at rationing ice cream. I blackslid there in January. Like I said above, I’m still doing pretty good at avoiding boxed snacks, so that’s good.
- Protein. I’ve eaten a lot of edamame and also almonds in January, but I’m still not doing stellar in this category. Today I bought some cottage cheese at the grocery store and will try to incorporate that into my diet. I like beans, I just need to make more of them!
- Water. I’m sad to report that January hasn’t been a great month for water intake. But I’ve been feeling thirsty lately, so at least that helps me to remember to drink. The last week or so has really been an uptick in water intake. So maybe I’m improving.
- Milk Update: The mornings I eat yogurt for breakfast, I had tummy aches. If I drink the milk from the cereal bowl, I get a tummy ache. Ice cream is still okay, and cheese is in moderation.
- Work. Still going pretty well. I also picked up an online class to teach, so that’s been a new experience. I’m actually kind of enjoying it. I wasn’t sure whether I would or not.
- Home. My home is my castle!
- Outdoors. It’s still cold. Cold, cold, snow, ice, cold, snow, cold. The snow is pretty. It’s fun to walk in once or twice. I’m ready for spring now!
- Getting Creative. I stamped some stationery, I’ve done a bit of knitting, and honestly, building this online class takes creativity!
Spiritual Health (A fuzzy, but important category for me):
- I was a little distracted from this category this month. For February, I’d like to set aside time during the week that is specifically dedicated to quieting my mind and focusing on things beyond the day to day.
- Important People. Another so-so month. I seem to flip flop between talking with these folks and those folks and these other folks. But I guess as long as everyone is in the rotation, maybe that’s okay. And I also have to remember that it takes two.
- Letter writing. I wrote 2 letters in January! It was nice to get back into that.
Personal Takeaways for January:
- Best Thing of the Month. Even though I cut it close, I was really proud of myself for reaching 500 monthly minutes in January
- Highlighted Food Goal for February. More protein!
- Highlighted Fitness Goal for February. Be consistent! And possibly set up an actual fitness schedule like I said I would last month :)