- Flossing & Retainer: Well, I flossed a couple of times, so this category wasnít a complete bust.
- Spark goals. I made it to 10 months of 500 minutes per month! I donít think I could have done that without support from my SparkFriends and hubby. And that strange situation where I was awarded a 500 monthly minutes award for January when I had not actually earned it yet. I took it as a sign that I *would* get the minutes in. So January was cutting it close. Iíd like to do better in February. Iím just at a 2 week streak for 90 minutes per week. The cold weather makes motivation hard!
- Fruits & Veggies. January was okay. I try to add frozen veggies to meals pretty frequently, and I also try to open a can a fruit for dinners. I know that canned fruit isnít the best. But Iím practicing a good habit of thinking about fruit, and I never buy fruit in syrup. This last summer, I got much better at eating fresh fruit from the Farmerís Market, and canned really isnít as good. Iím proud of myself with fruits and veggies because my husband isnít into them at all, but I still make sure we eat some, even when heís cooking Iíll say, ďWhat vegetable are we having? Maybe some fruit too?Ē
- Fats. I had a small relapse on boxed snacks (trans fats!) during the week of my uncleís death. Lots of poptarts and cookies. Iíve since put a stop to that! So other than that lapse, Iím still doing good at avoiding boxed snack foods. I havenít been baking at all really, so I havenít been using flax seed in January.
- Carbs. Iím sticking to whole grains and just last week I read an article about sugar. Apparently women are only supposed to have 6 tsp of sugar per day! It seems there are approximately 4g in 1tsp, so that means about 24g. Iím going to start really paying attention to the sugars on nutrition labels. I admit Iíve eaten a good bit of ice cream in January. For several months Iíve been good at rationing ice cream. I blackslid there in January. Like I said above, Iím still doing pretty good at avoiding boxed snacks, so thatís good.
- Protein. Iíve eaten a lot of edamame and also almonds in January, but Iím still not doing stellar in this category. Today I bought some cottage cheese at the grocery store and will try to incorporate that into my diet. I like beans, I just need to make more of them!
- Water. Iím sad to report that January hasnít been a great month for water intake. But Iíve been feeling thirsty lately, so at least that helps me to remember to drink. The last week or so has really been an uptick in water intake. So maybe Iím improving.
- Milk Update: The mornings I eat yogurt for breakfast, I had tummy aches. If I drink the milk from the cereal bowl, I get a tummy ache. Ice cream is still okay, and cheese is in moderation.
- Work. Still going pretty well. I also picked up an online class to teach, so thatís been a new experience. Iím actually kind of enjoying it. I wasnít sure whether I would or not.
- Home. My home is my castle!
- Outdoors. Itís still cold. Cold, cold, snow, ice, cold, snow, cold. The snow is pretty. Itís fun to walk in once or twice. Iím ready for spring now!
- Getting Creative. I stamped some stationery, Iíve done a bit of knitting, and honestly, building this online class takes creativity!
Spiritual Health (A fuzzy, but important category for me):
- I was a little distracted from this category this month. For February, Iíd like to set aside time during the week that is specifically dedicated to quieting my mind and focusing on things beyond the day to day.
- Important People. Another so-so month. I seem to flip flop between talking with these folks and those folks and these other folks. But I guess as long as everyone is in the rotation, maybe thatís okay. And I also have to remember that it takes two.
- Letter writing. I wrote 2 letters in January! It was nice to get back into that.
Personal Takeaways for January:
- Best Thing of the Month. Even though I cut it close, I was really proud of myself for reaching 500 monthly minutes in January
- Highlighted Food Goal for February. More protein!
- Highlighted Fitness Goal for February. Be consistent! And possibly set up an actual fitness schedule like I said I would last month :)