How I Get Through Bad Days
Monday, February 03, 2014
I have bad days fairly often. Mostly they start with some sort of mental/emotional pain and that pain spreads out like a fine mist into my physical world. The worst days are when I feel like I can't take action and I can't think clearly enough to pull myself out of the fog. So here are my simple guidelines for bad days:
1. Take a shower. I will feel even more miserable if I go around all day with greasy hair.
2. Don't start a project. Don't add to the mess and chaos or set myself up for frustration.
3. Eat healthy food. Eating junk will add to my brain fog.
4. Take supplements. This is a good day to take that fish oil and drink some green tea.
5. Do the minimum. Decide what minimum actions will have the maximum effect on making my life better. It usually turns out to be decluttering the house a little so I don't see chaos everywhere and so I can have dinner on the table.
6. Write. Journals are perfect for bad days. Pull out those emotions for a good look and gain some perspective.
7. Read. It helps to fill my mind with thoughts that are not my own anxious and critical thoughts.
8. Watch my thoughts. And don't believe them. And consciously replace them with more realistic thoughts.