Sunday, January 26, 2014
For the last 5 months or so, I have been making an effort to lose weight. I had started off with doing Hip Hop Abs in my house every morning. I was good for about a month. Then I started to feel pain and after a little while I had developed a big injury to my back. I was bed ridden for more than a week. I could not walk. It was one of the most horrible experiences that I have ever endured. Needless to say, I was kind of worried about exercising after that. But after a few weeks, I started walking in a nearby park every morning before the family got up. The walk started to develop into a jog. I injured my toe soon after and just stopped altogether because it was November and the holidays were upon us. Before New Year, I started tracking my calories in a food log that I made on my computer with my office program. It took me a couple of weeks to see, but I noticed that I was eating too many calories. I sat myself down and made a food plan for a menu of 1200-1500 calories a day. I kept to that plan for about a month. Then my appetite started kicking in and I began to eat on the higher side of the plan, with some days going over the limit. I kept trying to stick to the plan and for the most part I have done that, although at times it was not easy. I kept tracking and seeing where I had weak points and tried to work on them. I am still working on them! My husband saw that I was struggling, so he kept encouraging me to get moving. I was stalling on the exercise and was just watching those calories, but I have to admit that I was in a rut. Finally, seeing that I was not losing weight like I was doing just a few weeks earlier, my husband said that he would walk with me if I would just get moving. So I took him up on the challenge. I really did not want to walk. I had not been physical for a month or two and had grown lazy. But I knew that he was right. We started walking in a park near my mother-in-law's house. I enjoyed it and was taking pride in my efforts again. Just recently my husband started to push me a bit more, going at a faster pace and timing our walks so that we would do at least 30 minutes a day. Today he did not drive us to the park from my mum-in-law's house like we have been doing, but we left the van there. She watched the kids and the hubby and I walked from there to the park. It was a long walk and he was pushing me to keep up with him. (He is 6 years younger than me and very fit), so it was a challenge. We were not on the track at the park, as nice and flat as it is. Instead, we were walking through the uneven sidewalks and then onto dirt roads that led up to the park. We did a little walking there and then headed back, still keeping the fast pace that he had set in the beginning. Inside, I was crying for him to slow down, to stop and take a break, to wait for me. But I did not say anything and kept going. Although it was rough and hard to do, I am glad that he pushed me to do it. Since I have accepted the help of my husband, I have been seeing great changes in my body. When I started Hip Hop Abs last year, I was about 212 pounds. When I weighed myself last week, I was 196. My goal is to get down to 150. 46 pounds is totally doable. I made it a goal to reach 150 pounds by 2015. But at the rate that I am making progress, I should reach that goal sooner, which is fine with me! There have been times when I just started slacking and started overeating for a few days, but for the most part, I have been picking myself back up and trying again and again. It is all adding up. I think that is the key to the success that I have been able to have, I have not given up. I heard that if you are good 80% of the time, you can be off the other 20% and you will still be okay. I am finding that to be true. I am happy to finally be under 200 pounds. It had been in the 200's for at least 6 years, since my son was born. It was not a happy time for me physically. I am finding out that the only way to change my life is to change my life! I don't have to be perfect to make progress, I just need to keep trying to make progress to make progress. I am finding out that fighting fat, losing weight is a battle. It is one that you can never stop fighting. You have to keep trying to fight it and keep making efforts to control it or that monster will over power you and you will wonder why you hate your body. Fight! If you are at goal weight or are just starting out, I say FIGHT! Get knocked down, get back up. I know now that I will never stop fighting. I also know that because of this, when I look in the mirror I won't see a victim of bad living, but the body of a warrior. And she will get stronger the longer she keeps fighting.