I joined SP in January, 2011, to lose 10 lbs. for my son's April wedding. I lost the weight, felt good at the wedding, and decided to lose another 15 lbs. After some ups and downs, I've done that too. My next goal is to lose another 15 lbs. by June 30. If... no, when I'm successful with that one, my final goal will be to lose 10 lbs to reach my goal weight.
Things that I've learned, and which I know I have to continue for the rest of my life include:
- stay within the calorie range SP assigns for me
- stay as close to 50% healthy carbs, 30% good fats and 20% lean protein as possible daily
- eat protein with every meal
- avoid white bread, white rice and white potatoes
- do not peel fruits and vegetables, to get extra fibre
- eat fruits and vegetables instead of drinking juice
- drink lots and lots of water
- try to get 8 hours of sleep every night
- keep a positive attitude
- don't rely on fast or convenience foods
- when eating out, control portion size by asking for a doggie bag and bringing half home
- exercise regularly... Cardio at least 3x weekly and ST 3x weekly
- set realistic goals
- set a time line for each goal
- evaluate and update as necessary
- be kind to yourself... there WILL be ups and downs
- when you get off track, take a deep breath and get back on ASAP
- ask for help. DH keeps his cookies, candy and salted nuts downstairs
It's taken almost 3 years, but it's getting easier for me to follow these guidelines. My binges are much less frequent and don't last as long. Because I'm exercising almost every day, I can have a couple of cookies or a piece of candy and stay within my range.
As well as learning how to lose weight slowly and safely while following a much healthier lifestyle, I've made some wonderful Spark Friends who have encouraged me every step of the way. A sincere thank you!
Thanks for reading,