Monday, December 30, 2013
Tomorrow is the last day of 2013. It's kind of hard to believe. My husband and I started this year with very high hopes, but we were kicked down repeatedly this year. 2013 was a very rough year -- a year of loss, in particular. I lost two grandmothers and my favorite cat this year. There have been several other rough patches. My husband got hurt very badly on a job and was out of work for a couple of months, meaning everything fell onto my shoulders. I was put into my third classroom in less than two years, and was unexpectedly given the huge responsibility of being the lead teacher for that room. We've been dealing with Husband's family members, and how they "say" they want to work things out, but then their actions (or inactions) clearly show otherwise...even though we have had nothing to do with them in four years, they just don't show that they care. I've gained about thirty pounds this year as a result of all this stress. I end this year FAR heavier than I have ever been in my entire life. I weighed myself the other day and I was 217 pounds. Husband told me the other day that he's at an all-time high weight himself. As the year draws to a close, I have been thinking about how I would like 2014 to be an improvement from 2013. Several of my resolutions involve home improvements.
1. Obviously, as I do every year, I would love to lose weight and get in shape. I would like to make smart choices with food and drink, and I would like to become recommitted to a good, effective exercise routine.
2. I would like to go on more dates with my Husband. We talked about this the other night, in fact. I miss going out with him, and always enjoy it when we do.
3. I'd like to do more quality things as a family. We do an awful lot of sitting around, and I would like to get out of the house sometimes and actually DO something. Maybe once a month, we could choose to do something fun as a family on a Saturday or Sunday.
4. I would like to get together with friends and family more often. I've been working on this over the past few weeks already. I would like to stay in touch better with my loved ones.
5. I would like to save money this year. I started doing this already, but I would really like to try and save as much money as I can this year.
6. I want to work on improving our finances this year. I want to pay off debts. I am so sick of debts! This year, I want to completely pay off our truck, our credit cards, and our medical bills. I'd also like to get all of our other bills completely caught up.
7a. We have LOTS of things around the house that need attention. I want to get the partially-completed projects we have around the house FINISHED. We have several things around here that are about 75%-90% done. I want them to be completely done, and I want to do this BEFORE we start any new projects. This includes finishing the new deck, painting all the outbuildings, finish staining the side porch and fix bottom step, putting lattice up under both porches, raising the water barrel, fixing the back walkway, fixing the floor in the barn, painting the shelving in the laundry room, and enclosing the top of the chicken coop. We haven't started these yet, but we also need to frame our bathroom mirrors and put in new wood countertops. We have the stuff to do it; just need to do it.
7b. When the house (or one of us) needs something, I want to just save up for it and buy the darn thing. I get so frustrated sometimes, not just going ahead and getting what we need or want for the house. Sometimes we can't...other times, when we have money, we do something else with it instead. There are just lots of things around here that need attention. We need gravel for our driveway, new flooring, new bedding and towels. We need window treatments for the kitchen, dining, and living room. Our recliner is ratty and needs replacing. Except for Daughter's room, the entire house could use a fresh coat of paint. We need new silverware and glasses. I need new eyeglasses. We need a microwave to go above the stove. I've had my eye on this fireplace for ages, but never save up to get it. I need a new wedding band. I have one picked out, I just need to buy it. I hope we can accomplish at least most of these goals.
Basically, that's all. I just want to improve my life like everyone else does. I'm incredibly happy with the life I have and all the people and things in it. If things were to stay exactly the way they are, I would be happy. However, I do know that some things CAN be changed, so I choose to do that when I can. Around my house, we call changes like that "the icing." We feel like we have our cake, so anything else is just the icing on that cake. I just want to improve the life I have...is not that I can't see what a nice life I already have, or that I'm somehow ungrateful for some of it...FAR from it. I just want to make it even better. I don't think that's a bad thing at all :)