Thursday, December 26, 2013
My 2 weight loss related goals from now until the new year are:
- do 15-20 minutes of intentional physical activity (right now I am doing 0)
- snack smart & often by following these four guidelines: packing my snacks, eat a smart snack every 2 hours, no chocolate or candy, and make sure each snack includes a fresh fruit, vegetable, or dairy item (whole, minimally processed foods)
- get serious about limiting "treats" - dessert, candy, chocolate, ice cream, etc. NO TREATS BEFORE DINNER (alternatives: chocolate almonds, chocolate containing granola bars, gum, yogurt & honey) NO LIFESAVERS, KISSES, CANDY BARS, COOKIES, ETC. BEFORE DINNER (eventually I will put a calorie limit also, but I am trying to do easy steps now)
To have the best chance of achieving these goals I will have to do the following:
1) remove temptations (chocolate, life savers) from my office, purse, etc.
2) calculate how many smart snacks I may need for the day before I leave my house & pack them (If I go to work from 8am to 5pm, eat breakfast at about 7:30 or 8, that means I'll need a snack at 9:30, a meal (or another snack if I get stuck at work) at 11:30, a snack at 1:30, a snack at 3:30, a snack/meal at 5:30). That is 4-5 snacks a day. That means I have to bring at least 4-5 pieces of fruit, vegetable items, or dairy items, plus some possible "pairs" such as crackers, nuts, etc.
3) keep a well-stocked supply of healthy snacks and gum and anything else acceptable
4) think of strategies to overcome moments of weakness when it comes to wanting to eat candy or bad snacks - perhaps a mantra or listening to an empowering song, or looking at a photo of how I want to look again or a really hot and fit model whose abs I envy, lol. This will be part of my reflection as I go forward.
I am trying to keep it simple, but even simple things can be difficult and complicated in practice!