Shimmering Snowflakes Week 2
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Assignment: How do you survive all the Christmas parties & banquets? Any tips or tricks??
I went to a pot-luck Christmas party on Sunday and actually did much better than usual. How did I do that?
1. I took small portions.
2. I looked for food that I thought would be healthy and low-fat. I chose vegan split pea-barley soup when DH chose creamy corn chowder. I chose a small pice of French bread plain where DH had a vegetarian enchilada.
3. I took one bite of DH’s vegetarian enchilada instead of an entire one.
4. I chose fresh veggies (salad) with a “light” dressing.
5. I did go look at the dessert table. I felt rescued when I spotted the big bowl of tangerines! I knew exactly what I would have for dessert.
6. I limited myself to one small glass of wine.
7. I focused on getting to know the others at our table rather than on the food.
Every event is different and of course some have better options than others. This time I came in under my daily calorie range, especially low in protein, so I had some leftover salmon when I got home to cap off my day.
Another thing that helped was that I was able to base my choices on my experience measuring and tracking regularly. For instance, I now know what a cup of soup looks like and about how much is an ounce of bread.
So to sum it up:
Small portions, and know what small means from past experience.
Share with others instead of having a full serving.
Chose healthy options that will satisfy you on weigh-in day and not just for the moment.
Easier said than done most of the time!