150,000-199,999 SparkPoints 159,208

Hubby says I'm Crazy or Santa Hustle!

Sunday, December 08, 2013

I’ve been trying to blog for the last few days. I’ve been going 17 + hours per day the last 5 of 6 days. It has been fun and “good” stuff (dog training, work, Christmas shopping, cards, etc). Just has not left me much time for getting much Sparking done.

So yesterday was my Santa Hustle. I knew it was supposed to be cold but that turned into an understatement. While I was having breakfast and watching the news the weather report said it was 8 degrees at the lake front and the wind chill was -2!!! Seriously?!?!

I added thermals under my Grinch outfit and took down the pigtails so I could wear a hat. Hubby put my head scarf in my running bag. He kept telling me the whole way out that I was crazy to be running in this.

We got to the parking garage and it wasn’t too bad out; until we got outside and the wind hit. OMG!!! It was so cold I could barely breathe!! I pulled on my head scarf and my coat. I had one of hubby’s green shirts to put over my coat to pin my bib to. It didn't help. I just felt like the stay-puff marshmallow man.

I was freezing but I kept walking around. I took pictures with the reindeer and a few other runners. Being in the crowd, I decided that I needed to run without the coat. I gave it to hubby and we took a few pictures to see how I was feeling. I headed to the corrals. I realized that I had left my music at home so I was just running on the thump-thump of shoes on pavement.

I did pretty well for the first mile. I was slower than normal but it was ok. Second and third mile I “chased” a guy in a full Santa suit. He even started to slow for a minute and I said hey – you are being chased by the Grinch, let’s keep going. This kept us both going! I could actually see the finish line when my chondritis flared-up. My chest felt like I was giving birth to an alien. I slowed to a rapid walk. I was moving as fast as I could and I broke out in a huge sweat.

I did manage to jog across the finish the line. I was sweating and my breathing was painful and shallow. I was happy to just finish. I ended up at 34 minutes. Not too shabby, it’s about where I’ve been running lately. I really need to get that down about 3 to 5 minutes.

We did NOT stick around long. I saw several people with ice on their Santa hats. My hubby noticed that the sweat on my forehead was actually turning to ice while we were walking. I was so cold!

Driving home I decided that I was in the best holiday spirit I was going to be in. So we went off to the mall (yes a mall, on a Saturday afternoon in December). I got a good chunk of my shopping done. I also got a Bing Crosby Christmas cd. It was a good long day.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post

More Blogs by BIGPAWSUP