Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
40,000-49,999 SparkPoints 43,069

My Thanksgiving Week

Monday, December 02, 2013

Well, you may have noticed that I took a spark hiatus the past week! I flew to NJ last Monday and spent the week visiting my family for the holiday, and in the process remained disconnected from the internet. Not really in purpose, I was just so busy enjoying family time, and relaxing, that I never once took my laptop out of my backpack! That is definitely not like me, but my focus was completely on my family, and it was much-needed.

On Monday it snowed here in Colorado. My flight was at 4:05, so I planned to leave my 1:00 to get to the off-airport parking, go through security, etc., especially because I was bringing Buffy with me. But because it was snowing. I ended up leaving around 12:15 instead because I didnt know how bad the roads would be or what the traffic would be like, and since we were flying out of Denver, we had quite a drive to get there! The roads ended up not being too bad or crowded, but it was a yucky misty snow/sleet thing going on which just made driving really annoying. There wasnt really a line for baggage drop so that was good, and Denver now has TSA pre-check so I was able to zip through security very quickly! And then my flight was delayed by an hour and a half. It figures! I hadnt really eaten anything and I was kind of freaking out because the longer my flight was delayed, the longer I would have to go without food, and I wasnt going to land until close to midnight with the delays. So I found a mexican place that made burrito bowls, so I ended up doing that. I was worried it would upset my stomach since I didnt really know what ingredients they used, but I ended up being fine so that was good. The flight was uneventful. I had downloaded some episodes of the tv show Haven on my ipad so I watched those on the plane and it made the flight go by quickly. Buffy behaved very well, too. My dad picked us up at the airport and I was so glad to get to my parents' house. I was also exhausted and couldnt wait to go to sleep!

Tuesday morning I had to do ap hone conference for work, but it only took 15 minutes so that wasnt so bad. Then my mom and I went to the local grocery store to try and find some food that was gluten and dairy-free for me. Sadly, the grocery store didnt have very much, and I ended up going back out later to another grocery store that had a very nice gluten-free selection and I was able to get everything I was looking for. I cooked dinner for my family that night and they enjoyed it. After, my brother and I decided we wanted to play scrabble, but we couldnt find the game in the house, so he and I went to Walmart, and picked up Scrabble, Scattergories, Aples to Apples, Skip-Bo, and a deck of cards. We then proceeded to play scrabble for like 2 hours that night. It was really fun.

On Wednesday I dont remember too much about what I did. I took my mom out shopping becuase she was tired of being cooped up in the house all of the time. We went to a craft store, petsmart, and then to the mall. I was able to pick up a few small xmas presents for J while at the mall. Otherwise, the trip was rather uneventful. Afterwards, I spent the afternoon baking for Thanksgiving. I made a dozen chocolate cupcakes and a dozen vanilla cupcakes, along with my dairy-free "buttercream" frosting. I used the betty crocker gluten-free cake mixes, and subbed vegan butter for regular butter. They tasted fantastic! I also subbed vegan butter for regular butter, and coconut milk for regular milk in my frosting, and I thought it tasted better. I also made paleo pumpkin chocolate bread and it was delicious!

Thursday was Thanksgiving. My brother cooked all of the food, and since I had finished the baking the night before, I pretty much just relaxed all day. My grandma, aunt, uncle, and two cousins came over for dinner and we had a very nice evening together. My brother even accommodated my gluten and dairy-free issues - he even made me mashed potatoes with coconut milk! They tasted good. :) After everyone left my brother and I played some more scrabble.

On Friday. my brother and I decided to venture out for some Black Friday shopping at the local outlet shopping center. We didnt head out until 10:30am. I usually do Black Friday shopping with my mom and we go super early in the morning, but since my mom shouldnt be around lots of people so she doesnt get sick, she couldnt go out. My brother really wanted to go to the outlets to get jeans so I agreed to go with him. I ended up getting two xmas gifts for my mom, as well as a page-a-day calendar for myself, a nike hoodie and socks from the nike outlet, and a red dress from The Loft that I plan to wear to J's holiday party next week. It was a good shopping trip. I was pretty exhausted afterwards, so I just relaxed the rest of the night.

On Saturday I took my mom to a local quilting shop I found by searching online because I wanted her to see an actual quilt store as opposed to a large fabric store like Joann's. Then we went to Michaels so she could pick up a few things but there were so many people coughing and sneezing that we needed to get out of there quickly! The rest of the day we just lounged, watched a lot of HGTV and then some Harry Potter.

I should also mention that I read 5 books while I was visiting. Like I said, very relaxing.

I will also say that I did not workout the entire time I was there. I didnt even run the 5k Turkey Trot I had planned to run on Saturday. And I dont regret it. It was really important to spend so much time with my family. :) And I think I needed the break, too.

My flight back was yesterday. It also got delayed - I have no luck with flights lately. I decided to leave Buffy at my parents' house since I am going back to visit them again for Christmas in three weeks. It's less flying for the dog, which I think is good. Plus, she gets plenty of attention there. I do miss her so much already though. It's lonely in my house without her! My flight finally landed around 6:30pm, we got stuck on the plane taxiing for another 30 minutes. I was starving by the time I got off the plane, and I think either the Luna bar or the salad I ate before boarding upset my stomach because I was not feeling so well. There were hardly any options in the airport, and I caved and got tacos from taco bell, figuring they are corn shells so they wouldnt have gluten. I later learned that was incorrect. Also the meat has gluten in it. It didnt make me any sicker than I was already feeling. At this point, I might have just eaten anything though - I was feeling pretty desperate. By the time I got my suitcase, took the shuttle back to my car, and then made the drive home, I got to my house at 9:45pm. Exhausted. And pretty much went straight to sleep.

Now I am back at work. I feel very behind, and have a busy day today, so I guess I wont be catching up until tomorrow. I have an appointment with my therapist in about a half hour, and then I have a meeting this afternoon that will likely take the entire rest of the day. I did pack my gym bag, and I am hoping to get in a short workout after work before heading to the grocery store. I have pretty much no food at home, so I need to figure food out today, too.

I also realize it is now December, so I will be back later today with some December goals!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    It sounds like you had some needed R and R. My family loves to play games as well, my husband kicks my butt at Scrabble but I kill him in Scattergories.
    1029 days ago
    I had to laugh at your choice of games. Those are exactly the ones on my list of games to take to our vacation house for Christmas. My list also includes Candyland so I can play with the littlest ones. I am glad you have such a lovely visit with your family.
    1029 days ago
    1029 days ago
    1029 days ago
    Sounds like you had an awesome visit with your family, and much needed! All of your baking sounds so delish.
    1029 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by RAINEMARIE214