As of yesterday, I had successfully Sparked for fifty days, this time around.
Fifty days of logging in; forty-eight or so of tracking every bite and every minute of exercise. I feel good about that accomplishment.
Yesterday, I also got news from my doctor that she wants me to change medications in a way I don't want to do.
I'm generally a pretty compliant patient, but she wants me to stop the meds that keep my chronic pain under control, because they don't play well with the blood thinners she wants to put me on.
I said no.
Or at least "not until we find something else to handle the pain."
And I got super-serious about protecting my heart as well as I can.
In the past, I've done a food plan that really helped my cardiac and inflammation numbers. It takes some thought and planning, but I realized something: this past fifty days has been PERFECT PRACTICE for a meal plan that takes some thought and planning!
I'm ready for this!
So here I am, on a new Day One (or Day 51, whatever), and I'm serious about stepping up to the next level. Here are my new goals, and my new plan -- not a whole lot different form the old ones, but significant enough that I need to go change my SparkPage to reflect it.
NEW GOALS (and one old one):
1) In 6 months, I will be off all my blood pressure medication and still have optimal blood pressure, i.e. less than 120/80. (Let's say June 1, 2014)
2) By 1/1/2014, have a fasting blood sugar in the 90s. (It's around 106 now; not bad, but not good enough.)
3) Walk a 5K in less than an hour by 3/1/14.
1) Keep my SP tracking the same (using SP's recommended calorie ranges), but go back to the eating plan that helped before: vegan, no added fat, mostly whole foods.
2) Move step goal to 12,000 per day, and get that in at least 6 days a week.
3) Add more exercise: Strength training 3 times a week, and at least one 30-minute fitness class (either online or at the gym) once a week.
Do you know how serious I am about this? I actually JOGGED a little bit today!
I mean, it was just a tiny bit -- first 40 steps, then 60, then the next time 100 -- but I did it, and I *LIKED* it! This is amazing to me, because my motto has been, for as long as I can remember "I don't run unless someone's chasing me."
Change is afoot, SparkFriends. Watch my dust!