In Week Two of my Holiday Challenge my weight went back to 154.5 which is close to my goal weight of 154. For week Three it went down to 153.4. We are not in the holiday party phase yet and Thanksgiving is still a week away so I have been eating my normal pattern.
I find it hard to deal with social situations that involve food and not over eat. So I am really trying to monitor my choices before Thanksgiving comes since I have time to plan for it. Dinner is at my house, so I have control of the menu which also helps. I know that I will eat too much of the foods I love, but I am going to try to get back on to plan on Saturday (leftovers on Friday).
But being realistic, I am sure that for the next week I can hold it together. But what happens the following weeks? Staying on track is the Maintenance Challenge and I can see that over time it gets tiring. Plus the uncertainly of life brings in events or situations that reduce the time to plan and your weight can get away from you. I am trying to figure out what I am willing to do and what I am able to do to keep at my current maintenance weight. This can’t be a plan for Holiday 2013, it has to be a plan I can live with through Holiday 20xx.
For the past few months I have been trying to figure out what foods cause me problems, which ones I cannot control myself from over eating and lead me to eat more of anything. You know the “ I should not even start” thought that goes through your mind to the “ Oh So What is another serving, I have already had 3 and while I am at it, let's have a big dessert.” You’ve been there haven't you?
Pizza, spaghetti and flour tortillas are real problems for me. Also dishes that have a lot of sour cream, cheese, yogurt, whole milk, half and half, whipped cream and butter are really difficult. I find that I am not really able to manage my portions so I have been not eating these. No cream in my coffee, no butter on my toast, no ice cream on my pie and no cheese on my tacos.
On the up side, I have found that bread, potatoes, whole grain crackers, and rice have not been difficult as long as there is no butter on top. So I find that I am willing to put pizza and spaghetti on the very rare list, make sure to plan around them and opt for corn tortillas. My cholesterol numbers are much happier since I gave up full fat dairy so it is something I am willing to keep up for my health and to stay off pills.
Making these commitments are something I am going to continue to do during the next weeks and I am hoping that it will be something I can live with that will help me have less fear of the holiday parties. Part of keeping successful habits, is making them a "no think" part of my life. If I have to go out of my way or work really hard at something, I lose interest. So it seems to me that making a few healthy habits I can live with will go a long way to helping me maintain. Let’s see how this works.
So my holiday program is:
1. Drink water before every meal and drink a glass with each meal
2. Make a list of noshes and appetizers that are low calorie and buy them instead of high calorie snacks.
2. Eat more slowly, the fork down.
4. Make a lot of fresh salads
5. Record food eaten every day
6. Do get in the exercise, even if I have to get out before breakfast
7. Post weight each Tuesday
8. No Pizza, Spaghetti or flour tortillas for November and December NEW
9. Avoid all full fat dairy for November and December NEW
10. Wear clothes that show off weight loss NEW
Goal Weight 154
Nov 10 156.5
Nov 17 154.5
Nov 24 153.5
If you haven’t seen these Holiday Tips and Tricks from ~INDYGIRL
1. Wear clothes, makeup and jewelry that make you feel especially attractive right now.
2. DAS: Dress the part. Act the part. Suck it up.
3. Be a Food Snob.
4. PLAN ahead using the food tracker.
5. Manage your choices at buffets
6. Drink! Keep water, tea, or your favorite low-cal beverage handy at all times.
7. Gum helps, too.
8. Eat before you go to a party or fancy dinner.
9. Protein+Fiber=Full, so eat lean protein, fruits and veggies as much as possible.
10. Enjoy as many active things as you can.
For full blog go to