This morning I woke up with tons of energy for meeting the day. I was excited about today's workout (it's treadmill day) and was just finishing up my breakfast. But I kept hearing something weird in the family room, like something small kept falling on the floor or hitting the window. So I armed myself with a broom and wasp spray and headed in to check it out.
There was something like a wasp or hornet or yellow jacket (I don't really know how to tell the difference) on the window of the back screen door. So I sprayed it, but had a feeling that wasn't it. I ended up finding one in a window in the same room. I sprayed that one too. Then I turn to get my dog off the couch so he won't have to breathe in the fumes, and see one fly out of the fireplace only to land on my Wii remote. So great, three stinging things in less than 10 minutes, tons of wasp spray all over the place, heavy fumes in the family room (where I use the Wii to work out), and now I can hear them...they're in the chimney! It must be a nest. We see them inside occasionally and I've always felt that they came from the fireplace, but I've never seen so many at a time. And seeing the one just blatantly fly out of the fireplace is proof enough. There's a nest in there somewhere, and it's probably a large one if they keep making their way in this easily. There's no cover for the fireplace, only a metal curtain. So there really isn't a way to keep them out right now. I was going to just empty a few cans of spray in and around the fireplace, but it's gas and I'd hate to be the cause of a major explosion all because I was trying to kill wasps.
Now I'm terrified. I'm allergic to wasp stings, and everything I use to work out is downstairs...Wii (which I use for fitness games as well as the work out videos I purchased on Amazon), treadmill...everything. I can only imagine what might have happened if they'd been flying in while I was jumping around doing my daily exercises. I probably would have received several stings. I had to calm my panic attack enough to grab the rest of my breakfast and my phone and take off for the upstairs where they don't seem to hang out. I'm now barricaded in my room with a towel stuffed under the door. I can see them outside of my window though, and I think I understand how they're getting into the chimney.
*sigh* I'm so frustrated now. I had planned for this to be a great day and to really enjoy my workouts. Instead I'm stuck upstairs in my room, scared to death and jumping at every little sound or every time I think I feel something on my skin. I've also made my poor little dog terrified. I don't think he's ever seen me like this. Dad went on a spraying spree downstairs after I nearly banged down his door. I don't know what the situation is though and now he's gone...off to help my aunt & uncle at a hospital appointment. So until he comes home and gives the all-clear, I'm stuck. :(
Oh well, guess I'll do some studying and reading for my first certification, and maybe do some reading for fun. Not like there's much else I can do at this point...
As a side note, I HATE living in Georgia sometimes. We're past the middle of November, and instead of chilly Fall weather it's sunny and nearly 80 degrees outside. Most insects should have gone into hibernation at this point, but not here. Except for the changing leaves (and many still haven't started to change yet), you'd think it were summer time. If the weather were like it's supposed to be the wasps would probably be dormant right now, but they're enjoying the rebirth of summer. I can't wait to move to a place where the seasons act more like they're supposed to!