Saturday, November 09, 2013
On Thursday we were supposed to have celery in our fall share from the farm co-op, but they sent an e-mail that the strong winds blew off the coverings and the poor veggies suffered from the subsequent frost. But they said the Brussel sprouts were ready and would replace the celery.
Now, my first DH called them "poison plants from Jupiter" but Abi (aka Glitterfairy77) and I always liked them. Until recently we'd have them steamed with a bit of butter and salt; or perhaps if we could find them, the frozen sprouts in cheese sauce. But we began roasting them, and even my fussy granddaughter liked the slightly caramelized little things.
So anyway, today I was processing the veggies we got from the co-op - chopping up kale and peppers...and tackling this big stalk. I know WHY the things are so EXPENSIVE. They are very LABOR INTENSIVE. I processed 15 sprouts at a time...popping them off the stalk from the bottom up, peeling off the outer leaves - the lower sprouts had more moldy ones, which I eventually put in a bucket for composting. Bits of decent leaves that came off and the bases of each sprout were thrown in with kale stalks for veggy soup stock. All told there were about 75 sprouts for roasting. Tomorrow's treat!