Here is the deal: You screwed up.
You let a little emotional turmoil to cause you to question the value of what you do here at Spark and then to completely and utterly give up on your own little unique Spark that is yourself. Not long after.... you turned to food to comfort and assuage.
You have reaped the dubious rewards.
Augusten Burroughs in "Dry" wrote:
“Think of your head as an unsafe neighborhood; don't go there alone.”
And yet you did it, you checked out of Spark and into your muddled and cavernous head.
You were pretty $hitty company for the last two months and what ensued were days of waking up with "junk belly" when you ate too much too late in the day. Days of wandering around and thinking, "What do I feel like eating?" instead of "What should I eat." Weeks of thinking walking the dog was actually enough excercise as you nurtured a deep aversion to the gym, because if you are going to screw up, well, you were just going to screw up royally as in a royal 12lb weight gain.
And now you are healing and back to Sparking but are still meandering and a little rudderless.
Well, as you have advised countless others, pick up the oars and start rowing.
Pick a direction and go back to what works for YOU. So here it is, your pep talk, your written definition of your peaceful "abstinence" from food borne misery.
You know what to do.
What works for you is this:
1. Weigh and measure your food, not yourself. Track every bite and put it into the Spark Tracker. Stay within the allotted calorie and nutritional ranges.
2. Bears repeating one more time: Weigh and measure your food, not yourself.
3. Drink at least 8 glasses of water over the course of the day, preferably more and track that.
4. Get in at least 45 minutes of decent fitness every day. Track it. Walking the dogs does not count for the time being. It has to be OVER and ABOVE that!!
5. Set a period of time you will follow this edict and report back on your progress occasionally.
There are 54 days until the end of 2013. So....my countdown begins....
6. And remember, I love you and don't make this a chore. This is easy. Do this for yourself...because as your dear daughter has so eloquently reminded you - you have Potential....now do something with it.
Oh, and keep Spreading the Spark.
Thanks Boss61 for the shout out. Glad to be reminded in such a flattering way that when we get out of our own stinkin' thinkin' heads and lay it out there for ourselves, what we are really doing is connecting with others......
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.
Whopping big thanks to the Spark Powers that be for selecting this as a Featured Post!! (sniff...tears of gratitude) I'd like to add a shout out for my Spark Activity Tracker.
I got my tracker shortly after I wrote this post weeks ago in early Nov. 2013 and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seeing those numbers (steps and fitness minutes) go up, up, up! Gives me some numbers to obsess over that have nothing to do with the scale.
And, no, I was not asked or paid for this addition...just thought I'd put out one more tool that is helping me keep my own unique little Spark on track!
Blessings and be well to all!