Monday, November 04, 2013
This is my goal: I really need to focus on #2 because that will give me the victory I need over eating junk food.
Article by Jeff Novick
The Five Pillars of Healthy Eating
"A Common Sense Approach To Nutrition"
1) Plant-Centered - Center your plate and your diet around minimally processed plant foods (fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, roots/tubers, intact whole grains, and legumes (beans, peas & lentils).
2) Minimally Processed - Enjoy foods as close to "as grown in nature" with minimal processing that does not detract from the nutritional value &/or add in any harmful components.
3) Calorie Dilute - Follow the principles of calorie density choosing foods that are calorie adequate, satiating and nutrient sufficient.
4) Low S-O-S - Avoid/minimize the use of added Salts/sodium, Oils/Fats and Sugars/sweeteners
5) Variety - Consume a variety of foods in each of the recommended food groups.
for the rest of the article see