Monday, November 04, 2013
I had a busy but great October and am looking forward to finishing the year strong.
Here is a recap of the highlights from the month:
1) Maintenance: I am still maintaining in the 180-185 range. I had 4 days this month with a morning weigh in less than 180, which was nice. I will plan to continue to maintain through the holidays.
2) Eating and snacking: These could be better, and are main reason when I start to head towards the top of my range. Not a big concern, but something to keep an eye on.
3) Fitness: I logged 95 miles this month, which brought me to 862 miles for the year as of 31 Oct. I am on track to hit my goal of 1,000 miles. We head out on a ski trip on or about 22 Dec and I would really like to be at/past my goal before we go, which is totally feasible. Additionally, we finished out our lunchtime IM frisbee league and won the championship, beating the phys ed dep 9-8 in the finals. We had a fun, cohesive, and skilled team and finished with an 16-3 record, including the playoffs. A few teams had better fitness than us, but were not as cohesive or didn't have the balance at throwing and catching that we did. I am glad that the season is over, it was a lot of fun, but it was a bit harder on my body than running is! Also, I identified why/how my Achilles injury in May occurred. I had bought a pair of Newtons and they irritated my Achilles. After not wearing them for a few months, I tried the Newtons again on two runs and started to feel the same irritation come back. Fortunately, I stopped early enough that I recovered faster than last time.
4) Teaching is going well. We are 2/3 of the way through the semester now and starting to look towards next semester. I currently have 3 sections of the statics course, next semester I will have one section of statics and one section of hydrology and hydraulic design. The government shutdown added some disruption and inconvenience, but we worked through it.
5) Two birthdays in November - My little girl, Elizabeth, turned 3 on Saturday. No big party, just our family. I made a carrot cake for her. Then, next weekend is my birthday. I will turn 43. My mom will come down from the Boston area next weekend and then my DW's parents will come out from the Cleveland area the following weekend. Then, we will head up to the Boston area to my brother's for Thanksgiving.
6) I signed up for two races in November, both Turkey Trots. One on 16 Nov at West Point and I will plan on pushing the two littles in the buggy. The other in Andover, MA on Thanksgiving Day and I will run with my nieces, my brother and my SIL.
Take care and keep up the spark!