Sunday, November 03, 2013
You know you see those commercials, infomercials news reports, magazine articles etc etc etc where the woman says I yo- yo dieted for years and finally one day she figured it all out?
Yeah, well... that's not me. I almost hate spark for being able to document my failures over and over and over again. How many times have I had to change my starting weight #? How many times have I altered my goal because there was no way I was going to make it? How many times have I lost 10 pounds and gained back 15?
It's exhausting and sad. What's worse is when you know what you need to do and just can't/wont do it.
So here's attempt number 1,793,129 ... yeah... or something like that. I am going on a beach vacation for Christmas. I've been steadily gaining weight since summer. I was about 135 in July and am currently around 145-150 depending on what I eat. I have about 7 weeks before the trip and I have a few goals here.
1. I've had a surgery, multiple infections, and severe allergies that make my life unpleasant. I seem to constantly be sick. I've had a surgery and am off antibiotics. Eating healthy, drinking my water and overall getting my health back on track so my body stops trying to kill me
2. Allergy shots start tomorrow and to help me feel my best it's probably a good idea to stop eating all the things that I'm allergic to... and boy are there some tasty ones.
3. Depression - I've been struggling. I feel better when I'm active or have hobbies or classes or something. I prefer activities instead of the gym. Like MMA, aerial arts, rowing, etc. They're expensive. And when you're fat it's hard to want to start. I want to get on a schedule again... I want to find something I can do.
4. Traveling - I travel a lot. Trying to keep a schedule, get my sleep, not eat like crap, etc is really hard. My next trip is in two weeks and my goal is to not gain weight while I'm on it. I want to be able to enjoy a nice dinner but overall eat healthy and still exercise.
5. Pain. I've been in a lot of it. Back pain that gives me chest pain. No more please. I think it has to do with the extra weight I've been lugging around
6. Stress and lack of motivation at work and home. I don't get as much done as I'd like to and I don't feel like a productive human being. I go from not wanting to do my work at the office to not wanting to do anything other than watching TV at home and I always have excuses... I was traveling last week and I'm "recovering". I don't feel well (allergies, new infection, pain etc)
Anywho, today is day zero. I've stopped at my friendly trader joes... I bought some chicken breast (I never eat chicken breast it feels like diet food to me but I'm going to give it a whirl), more veggies than I usually see in a month to last me maybe a week, a new book (Jumpstart to Skinny) and a plan. I have kindle edition of the book and I haven't had a chance to make a shopping list for the recipes that look like I'm willing to eat them but I have planned out the next two days. They follow all the rules and nutritional profiles but aren't exact replicas of his recipes. I have always liked food lifestyles like paleo, eating clean, etc because I like the idea of it and I like that jumpstart has a low carb load from mostly good carbs (oatmeal, quinoa, potatoes fruit and veggies). I know my body does better without things like sugar and I have a horrible horrible addiction. I eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm happy and I have no portion control. I buy a box of cookies and I eat until it's gone. Ultimately my life goal is to get that under control. To either not want them at all or to be satisfied with a single serving and be able to have treats in the house without the need (literally a gravity pull into the kitchen) to eat them until they're gone.
So day zero almost over... tomorrow, an official weigh in and hope that I eat all my prepared and planned foods.... So far I've only planned two days... I can do two days right? No need to even worry about day 3,4,5,6, and 364... just focus on one at a time. Right?