Creamed Cauliflower and Brown Rice
Thursday, October 31, 2013
This simple, scrumptious dish tastes remarkably creamy but uses no cream. Remove a few pieces of browned cauliflower for garnish and serve with lemon wedges.
Total time to prepare: 40 minutes
1 lb. cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup short-grain brown rice
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
• In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, sauté the cauliflower in the oil until browned, about 3 minutes.
• Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
• Stir in the rice with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and adjust the heat to simmer for 25 minutes.
• Uncover and stir until the cauliflower starts to fall apart. Continue simmering until the rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan and lemon juice.
• Season with up to ½ tsp. of salt and plenty of black pepper.
Per serving (1 cup)—
Sodium: 260 mg
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 23 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 2 g