When I signed up for the Strength Training and Endurance class at the Y, we got a list of reflective questions. I thought they were good questions. I've written about some of these things before, as have many of you, but it's good to revisit these themes. Our perspective changes as we make changes. We have new insights to ourselves. I decided to take the questions, modify some where appropriate to make them more universal, and share them with you.
I invite you to join me in a 3 Week Blog -A-Day Challenge. I am starting tomorrow, October 31. That will get me to the week before Thanksgiving (for us in the U.S.) and the beginning of the holiday madness. The start date is arbitrary and I hope others will join in no matter what the date is on the calendar. I hope putting in the effort, will pay off by helping me maintain my healthy life choices.
Feel free to share this. www.sparkpeople.com/mypa
If you participate, please comment and support others who accept the 3 Week Blog-A-Day Challenge. If you are "in", please let us know in the comments section, so we can read and comment on each other's blogs.
Answer one question each day:
1. Have you set a new short- or medium-term goal or challenge recently? Do you have a goal or challenge that you have been working on for a while? What is it? What do you hope to gain from it?
2. Imagine you have met your new short- or medium-term goal or challenge. What would you like to say happened for you while you were working toward that goal?
3. What is your big picture, long-term goal? Why is this goal the one you work towards?
4. What motivates you to stay committed to a healthy lifestyle?
5. What demotivates you and takes you off your fitness and health goals?
6. What is your favorite physical activity overall? at the gym? Explain.
7. What is your least favorite physical activity overall? at the gym? Explain.
8. Have you ever worked with a physical trainer? One on one? Small group? What skills or talents did the trainer have that helped you? What didn't help?
9. What supports do you need in your life to help you reach your short- or medium-term goal or challenge? Do you have those supports? What undermines you in reaching your goals? How do you use those supports to your advantage? How do you work around those things that undermine you?
10. What are the ways in which you are "slippery" and might cheat yourself in your efforts to reach your short- or medium-term goal or challenge?
11. How often do you participate in physical activity and for how long each time? Are you satisfied with that?
12. True or false: I like to be pushed. Elaborate.
13. True of false: I need to be pushed. Elaborate.
14. True or false: I like the way I look. Elaborate.
15. True or false: I feel good about myself. Elaborate.
16. If I could change one thing about myself, it would be _______. How and why would you make that change?
17. One word that best describes me. Elaborate.
18. One word that least describes me. Elaborate.
19. Think of the person who loves you the most. How would they describe you?
20. What simple step can you take to make yourself happier today?
21. This is a long one. You just spent three weeks reflecting on yourself and your journey to a healthy lifestyle. Write yourself a heartfelt, loving intention to help you reach your goal.
An example is, "I intend to show up for myself everyday, in every way to support my physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. I will continue to be a healthy, vivacious person. I will take responsibility for anything and everything that enters my mind, body and soul. I will honor myself."
Write your own intention, but you can also use prayers, essays or motivational phrases from elsewhere. Whatever you write or "borrow" should resonate deeply and be helpful to you as a source of strength and motivation.