Well tomorrow morning at 9.30 am I have a date with the Doctor! I have been re-reading the letters that I have got from him and the Vascular Surgeon, and revising a lot of information that I have read on the internet on my condition, and then I have done a brain storming session and wrote down all the questions that are still on my mind. There is so much conflicting and confusing information on the Internet, that I am going back to basics:-
As this blog is logging my journey, I will jot the questions down here and take a print off with me tomorrow and a pen. I will then type up his answers to remind myself what his recommendations are:-
So here goes:-
1. What is moderate Carotid Stenoses Bilaterally?
2. Why do the letters also refer to me having Vascular disease, and atheriosclerosis? Are these different names for the same thing?
3. Why does the letter say that I am very young to have this condition?
3. Are other arteries likely to be affected or is the issue just with my Carotid artery?
4. The letter says that the problem is caused by lesions/scarring, does this mean that it was caused by an infection? Was it connected to my episode of encephalitis and the inflammatory markers that you alluded to?
5. If infection was not the cause, could it be lifestyle related or have genetic underpinnings?
6. Why does the letter say that I should be on Statins irrespective of cholesterol levels?
7. Do you have any peer review papers, that show the effectiveness of Statins for cases like mine, in preventing strokes/heart attacks etc? Would you take them in my position?
8. If I took them what side effects should I look out for?
9. What diet is recommended for somebody with this condition?
10. What weight/BMI/BP and cholesterol level should I be aiming for?
11. Do I have to be careful with overexerting myself or with my stress levels?
12. What exercise regime is the most effective for keeping it under control?
13. Is the condition reversible? Could I get my artery/s back to normal? How?
14. Should I have the rest of my arteries checked out?
15. How often do I need my blood pressure/cholesterol/arteries checked?
16. Would the 30 Day Shred be a suitable exercise regime for me?
17. What signs should I be aware of that would indicate stroke/heart attack/vascular disease was progressing/imminent?
18. Are there any books/internet sites that you would recommend that would cover the above?
19. Show him my ankle, where I am having intermittent pain, and ask him what he thinks is causing it?
20. What are you doing at the weekend? (Just kidding on that one, I have learned my lesson).
I am Habitatvitality's Scottish twin.