Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
40,000-49,999 SparkPoints 43,069

Blood Tests and Upper GI Scope

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Hello friends. It's been a busy few days for me. On Tuesday I went to the army base hospital to get my blood tests for celiac disease and lactose intolerance. No one told me that the lactose intolerance test actually involves having your blood drawn every half hour for 2.5 hours. So, I had only planned to be out of the office for like an hour that morning for the blood tests, but I ended up missing the entire morning, and I already had an appointment at the womens clinic in the afternoon so I missed an entire day of work unplanned. :(

Yesterday I had my upper GI scope. I drove myself to the hospital. They told me to be there at 0700 so I arrived like 10 minutes after that - I hit traffic on the base. They had me change into the hospital gown, hooked me up to an IV, and then I laid in this bed with an IV for 2 hours before the anesthesia guy finally came to see me :/ Did I really need to be there that early? By the time I was moved to the procedure room it was 0940ish and the procedure didnt end up starting until like 1015! They gave me IV sedation - the same drug that killed Michael Jackson. I was asleep within 30 seconds of having that drug go into my IV. I woke up about 45 minutes later in the recovery room. Apparently I had an entire conversation with the nurse that I dont remember - she later told me we had the same conversation twice! They did 5 biopsies of my esophagus, stomach, upper part of my small intestine? The scope showed significant damage to my esophagus from acid reflux, so I will likely be on medication the rest of my life for that. They did some of the biopsies to check for celiac disease. J picked me up from the hospital around noon and drove me home. We also stopped and had chinese food because I was randomly craving it, and I hadnt eaten in about 18 hours at this point. I only ate half. I was feeling pretty woozy from the sedation. I ended up sleeping for about 3 hours when I got home. Ate the rest of my chinese lunch for dinner. Watched some tv and finished hand sewing the binding on my mini quilt, and then went to sleep around 8pm.

Woke up this morning with a horrible sore throat :( That is to be expected, though. My stomach hurts and I am still a beet weezy from the sedation yesterday, I think. J picked me up at 0600 to drive to the hospital to retrieve my car, since I left it there yesterday. I went to work this morning. I had only planned to stay half the day since I am not feeling great, but I have also been out of the office for 2 days, so I wanted to catch up on my emails and try to get some work done. When I got there my computer account had been mysteriously disabled. I called the help line and it was busy - for 20 minutes. So I called the local comm office who said they couldnt help me and I had to keep checking with the centralized help line. I also found out there was a huge power outage on the base last night which caused the network to go down. So no one on base can get internet or email. I decided the world was telling me to go home, so I left. I emailed my boss from my personal email to let her know about the internet failure and that I am not feeling well and plan to rest today. I cant even access my work email from home, so there is really nothing that I can do today. Don't you hate that our jobs rely so heavily on the internet and email these days?

Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. I have one meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning so I know I will at least get some work done, and probably fight with the help line people to get my computer account enabled again. Didnt feel like repeatedly dialing a phone number and getting a busy signal for hours when I cant even use the internet at work today anyway.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    WOW, sounds like you are going through the same things I have been. All I can say is it will get better.
    Stay Positive!
    1095 days ago
  • BILL60
    Hang in there!!
    1096 days ago
    Sorry you had such an ordeal! I have someone I take care of with reflux and there is a diet for that too. Did they tell you about that?
    1097 days ago
    I'm sure another good night's sleep will help! Maybe the internet problem will be fixed and your access working when you get in...Hope your Friday is better!
    1097 days ago
    It sounds like you have had a couple of rough days. I hope they figure out what is causing your distress. Rest and recuperate. emoticon
    1097 days ago
    Hope that you feel better soon but it it still good that you took the necessary steps that will hopefully help you in the long run.

    YES - I hate that we rely on email/Internet so much!
    1097 days ago
    1097 days ago
    I hope you feel better by tomorrow.
    We had an internet outage on Monday....totally know how you feel.
    1097 days ago
    I am glad your first procedure is over. Hopefully the results will help you understand better what has been going on and give you a path forward.

    p.s. I totally hate when you have to show up early for a procedure then wait....and wait...and wait! emoticon
    1097 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by RAINEMARIE214