Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Today has been a massively stressful day. Lynx, one of the cats in the rescue I run, became acutely critical this morning with a low body temp, low blood count and low heart rate. A trip to a specialist clinic in Toronto revealed a 7 cm mass (which wasn't detectable on his July visit to the vet) on his liver. It was bleeding into his abdomen causing his critical status. He's now a little more stable after a blood transfusion. He'll be having surgery tomorrow to remove the mass after another transfusion.
After he was stabilized, I left the clinic and stopped at IKEA for lunch. I made a healthier choice than I normally would have by ordering the salmon. However, I also had a side of coleslaw and a slice of their great cake. Top it off with a Diet Pepsi and I felt stuffed by the time I left.
This made me realize that although I've been making better choices for the two weeks I've been on SP, it's time to make even better choices. So, here is a list of the new goals I am going to strive for.
1. Once I've used up the yogurt in the fridge, I will buy low fat or 0% yogurt only
2. Once the cheese that's in the fridge is used up, I will only buy the low fat varieties.
3. I will buy 5% light cream for my coffee instead of half and half.
4. I will start using a light margarine instead of butter all the time.
5. I will cut back on my portions and eat a smaller amount, wait 10-15 minutes and then only if I'm still hungry, will I take more. When at a restaurant like IKEA, I will order the main course only. If after I finish, I want more, then I'll go get it. Portions must be smaller in order to achieve my goals.
6. Although exercise is a struggle right now, I will commit to even 5 minutes of exercise 4 times per week. I am often too tired or sore to exercise but I can handle 5 minutes even from a chair.
I really feel like I can do this now. If Lynx can bounce back from near death this morning, by golly, I can get healthy, lose weight and for once in my life, feel good about myself!!