100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 112,068

Allergies mean more wine for you.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

'Tis the season to go get those flu shots. That got me to thinking about being sick. Not dreadfully, life-threateningly, at death's door ill. But, you know, regularly sick.

When I was a kid, one of 13 mind you, if something got one of us, it would run through all of us. Sometimes more than once. Once there was a plague of impetigo. A nasty infection, resistant to the antibiotics of the day. And if you weren't careful, you would get it more than once.

And there were the so-called 24-hour bugs, but frankly I think maybe Mom didn't practice the best food safety, like different knives and cutting boards for poultry and vegetables.

When I was about 12 I was introduced to the wonderful world of the MIGRAINE. I had had a seemingly small headache all morning. Dad took us downtown for a firemen's parade. Loud noises, diesel fumes. By the time I got home my head was pounding and I couldn't stand the light and even my hair hurt. Then --- Whoops --- up came lunch and breakfast and maybe even something I ate last week, I was never sure.

But I don't get migraines anymore. One day I had my last one and I think that was about 10 or 15 years ago.

I do know my last cold came to me after I started Weight Watchers. Probably about five years ago. No even a cold in the last five years.

I used to be allergic to bee stings but that went away before the migraines did. Swell up like a balloon and itch. But I was stung recently and nothing happened. Cool!

On the other hand, I was also allergic to tree pollen, especially maple and every spring I would be a mess. And leaf mold, so every autumn I would go through it all over again. My nose would start to tickle, but only on the right side. My eye would water and I would sniffle and sneeze. The left side of my face was dry while the right side seemed to have a very bad cold. A few years ago, I realized that I wasn't having a problem anymore. SO I guess I outgrew that one too.

Some molds still bother me, but only for as long as they are present. For example, when we pulled down the wall in the old bathroom I sneezed for nearly an hour after I was done getting rid of the moldy wallboard but then it stopped.

One other thing that used to make me allergic: sulfites. Sulfites are used as preservatives in dried food and in wine. I would get a reaction to wine like the one I got to leaf mold and pollen and it would last a week. So I stopped drinking wine.

I guess I could test it by having a glass of wine. But if I am wrong I am miserable for a week and it is one discomfort that is totally avoidable.

So while I might be over that allergy, I don't want to find out I am not.

So more wine for you.

Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.